Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 403 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Anything but VW
By Ed J.

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Loved the car until it hit 40K. Thank God I purchased extended warranty. two A/C compressors, one ABS module, alternator, (each of these cost at least $1200), fan motor, trunk latch, catalytic converter, part for Turbo, interior lock buttons peeled, arm rests peeled (VW would not do anything about this) No excuse for any of this. I'm used to Asian cars, never had these problems with them! Had car towed twice, once for alternator and most recently for ignition part. That did it. I traded for a new 2015 Mazda6 last March. What a great car! Styling, mileage, quality, reliability. I don't understand why people make excuses for poor reliability with some brands like VW. I won't put up with it. Just read reviews. The top cars for reliability are Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, and Honda. Don't see any VW's up there do you? No excuse for poor reliability, I learned my lesson. Got rid of this car two years ago and bought a Mazda6, Very happy with Mazda, what a difference., No problems.

DO NOT BUY
By Tammy Taylor

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought the car from my brother-in-law who bought it new and did regular maintenance like clockwork only used synthetic oil. It had 90k miles on it when we bought and was in immaculate condition besides the peeling on inside front doors. We drove 150 miles and lost oil pressure had to be towed 150 miles from home. Dealer said needed new motor $7500 and that didn't include turbo replacement. We went with an autorepair shop instead and spent 5500. Within the next 150 miles the oil was leaking. Turned out to be rear main seal and that is another 1200. We have 15k in a used car with only 90k miles on it.......Ridiculous. VW should do something about all the problems. This should be covered under lemon law.

NEVER buy a Volkswagen.
By Cody

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 2006 VW Passat 2.0T for about $25K from the dealership. It now has106k miles. The scheduled maintenance was always done on time, including the pricey synthetic oil changes every 3k miles. After taking the necessary actions to have the car regularly serviced(in hopes of having the car last)

At 85K miles I needed to replace the front axel. ($1200)

At 100K miles my car started shifting funny. I brought it to the dealership to take a look. I was told I needed to replace the transmission. They quoted me $6000. After this shocking quote I brought the car to a reputable transmission shop. I was told the same thing, I needed a new transmission. This quote was less at $4.5K. Thats right, with 106k miles I needed to replace the transmission! In my opinion a transmission should not need to be replaced with 100K miles.

The black rubber coating on the buttons is pealing, the sunroof is leaking, and the engine is misfiring.

I would highly suggest to anyone looking to purchase a VW not to. They are stylish and affordable but the cars do not last.

people are so cheap
By lindsay

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is great mine is at 160 k miles the inside of my buttons and locks buttons did peel and bubble but its only a 50$ fix... People complain about the up keep costing so much but ITS A VOLKSWAGEN! It is not an american car repairs cost more the engine is not regular its all new technology if you cant afford up keep you shouldnt buy a foreign car. Its like buying a name brand purse to look rich but not having any cash in it. [non-permissible content removed]

Keep up with it!
By Justin

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is NOT a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. It is INFINITELY better.
Things people forget, however, is that with performance comes a lack of "reliability." Don't read reviews about how people have a lot of problems. This is not a problematic car. It is a car that uses performance parts that needs to be watched and maintained. Mine was big money to keep running, but worth every penny. It drove like a sports car, carried a family like an elite sedan, and looked more expensive than it was. It never had an issue that disabled it, and it never had an issue that wasn't to be expected with the high mileage it had. This car costs about $1500 a year to keep up with repairs and maintenance. Beware, and enjoy.