Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Disappointed in my Passat
By Bernie

2005 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I cannot wait to squirrel away enough money to replace my car, with a non-VW model. I used to be that person that would defend VW and my car selection, but no more. After three recalls, multiple ignition coils going out, faulty electronics and the bottom panel of my car falling out on the freeway, I am done with this car. Not to mention it is a boring sedan. There is nothing outstanding about this car, aside from my repair bills.

Decent gas mileage, features of the car were fun four years ago when I purchased the car. Ample cargo space.

How about build a car that doesn't cause me constant angst and headache? Volkswagens are affordable automobiles to purchase, but it is evident why. The cost to repair (of which the repairs are frequent) more than makes up for the difference.

So far, so good
By Mary Anne

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This little guy keeps on going. I love the styling, comfort(with a "c" not a "k"), gas mileage, interior room. I looked at a BMW before I purchased this and it definitely had more bells and whistles. I LOVE the heated seats. The ride is comfortable. It has it's issues, but they have been covered under the warranty. Fun to drive!

All the perks like heated seats, moonroof, windows that all go up with the twist of the key, the knob to adjust the seat recline(which you should not do while you are driving!), garage door opener and all the interior space.

Work on the quality. I would buy VW's again and again if they would just be reliable. I hate to say it, but I am trading in at 50k, and I'll miss it!

Solid Car so Far.
By V-DUB

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So far this diesel has been an unbelievable purchase. I wanted to give it a month or so before I reported on anything. I bought the car used with 122 000 KMS on it. I had the timing belt replaced as well as the transmission oil changed and a new fuel filter so there would be know surprizes. I gotta tell anybody who is reading these reviews.....everything I have read about this Passat TDI is bang on correct. This is the smoothest car I have ever driven, very similar to the Audi A4, excellent on fuel, just PURE enjoyable. I am averaging 45 miles to the gallon or 6.4L/100KMS and better on long trips. I have now owned 5 diesels this is the best so far.

Fuel Mileage, interior lighting, Tiptronic Transmission and POWER OH the POWER. For a diesel this thing can Haul. 134 H/P 247 foot pounds of torque...WOW. This will give the 09's a run for their money.

Power Seats and controls for radio on the steering column is all that is missing on this car. Make the arm rest move about 4 more inches forward.

So far so good
By djfllmn

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dad purchased this car in Feb. of 2009 on the same day that I got my 2003 Ranger. I've never been much for German cars, but I'm slowly starting to like them. I read all of the reviews that mention the sludge problem. They don't change their oil frequent enough. It should be changed every 3 months or 3000 miles and you will be good to go.

Sound system, power when turbo kicks in, shifter is awesome

make it easier to change oil, solve the horrible torque steer when you jump on the gas in 1st or 2nd gear

Really Durable with V6 and manual.
By VWall the time

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Passat; 1999 V6 5-speed Sedan was amazing for 10 years and 140k miles. Despite hard use, reliability was excellent(6,000+ revs common; 50/50 highway/backroads; fast cornering; some rough roads; stored for long periods). The timing belt was expensive, replaced radiator at the same time since front of the car has to be dismantled. Also had to replace control arms/bushings and CV joints. Valve cover gasket prone to leaking. Cracked oil pan 2x on steep driveways/bumps (likely somewhat my fault due to 1/2-inch lower European suspension springs). AC conked out in year 9. Still has original clutch. My other cars are BMW M3s which I race - but can't sell VW, I like it too much!

Handling, comfort, roomy trunk. Excellent reliability given usage. I have stock car except for European Sport Springs.

Better access for repairs to reduce high repair labor hours. Make European suspension a USA option.