Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Passat for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Great longevity

Lc, 07/30/2015
GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have the 2004 model. After 11 years and a great ( indy VW) mechanic and regular maint. and oil changes, I've had minimal costly repairs. Maybe, I'm in the minority but I'm holding on to it, with just 115,000. My last VW went past 200,000.

Trad d In the Car 2016- Emissions Tests Problems

nancy wiggins, 11/18/2015
GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the handling& has enough power to make mountain trips a breeze. Replacement parts are too expensive for me. Low height is easy entry & a great feature but front bumper & oil pan (replaced 4 times-speed bumps)are too low. Very costly continuous repair on poor US roads.(NC&SC). Bought it to serve as a company car to haul executives as well as a personal car. Works well on both counts.Got the German made luxury edition and have enjoyed the features. The emissions system is a problem.

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW

mandydj, 12/18/2010

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

Thirteen years old and still going strong (update)

jsnoWVen, 11/05/2017
GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2004. Other than a few minor recall items, it has never been back to the dealership; I have an honest, reliable mechanic who has done the maintenance and repairs for me. I have faithfully performed all scheduled maintenance on the car with the exception of the timing belt, which I replaced early on the advice of the mechanic. This car has been 100% dependable, is a joy to drive, and looks good, too. I fully expect to be driving this car well into the future. Update: I have now owned and driven this car for over 15 years. There have been no major problems with the car, just the usual wear-and-tear repairs that come with a daily driver. The mileage has dropped a little in the past few years, but still within the EPA ratings for the car. I bought this car to replace a VW Golf that was 18 years old and had over 200k miles on it. At this time, my husband said I shouldn't expect the Passat Wagon to last as long as the Golf. He has since changed his tune, and we both fully expect this car to exceed the Golf's lifespan with us.

I will NEVER buy another VW!

snowylmh, 12/09/2010

Bought my car as a certified used in 2008. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned... this one has left me stranded on the side of the road the most. It doesn't even matter if it's not a major issue, it costs a TON to fix. It cost me $960 to put in a fuel pump! Six days after I gave birth to my son, it left us both stranded on the side of the road when leaving his dr appt due to the ignition coils... a recall that happened years before I bought it certified used-- but they didn't bother to replace it before selling it to me. I have spent far more than this vehicle is worth on the constant repairs. Can't wait to sell it! Never will buy another VW. Specialized everything... total hassle!

Passat Silver Wagon 4 motion

monyw, 01/22/2004

This is the best car I ever bought! period! the 4 motion is like glue in the snow & rain. every option you can think of is included. the ride and power are unmatched for this class. This is a true sports Wagon in every way.

I wish someone warned me about the water

vw driver, 02/27/2004

I owned a Jetta, now a passat. I loved it until the water began to leak in under the front and rear floor carpet. When I researched this issue it seems it is a long known defect/issue for these cars. I know two people who had the same problem, and found hundreds of others on line. My new car now smells like a old wet rug. Other than that love the car, but that is quite an issue to get by. VW claims not to know of it but replace pollon filter to address the issue.

Wonderful road hugger

JG DC, 04/29/2017
GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The card handles so well, hugging curves and effortlessly making turns. Little effort required. The engine is there for you when you need to make your moves. I love the sliding tilting sunroof and the leather interior. The seats show no wear, stay clean and are very comfortable to sit on. Lots of safety features and easy handling. The cold weather package ensures the front seats warm up in the coldest weather, adding to comfortable heating system. Winter isn't a problem with anti-slip and anti skid steering. A car that is meant for cruising the highway on long trips in safety and comfort! I don't want to sell or trade it in. I will drive it until is ready for that great wrecking yard in the sky!

We're never ever ever getting back together

Terri, 12/29/2015
GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My father passed in 2009 and the car was given to me with 17,000 miles on it. The car has always been garaged. I cannot drive the car now and it only has 53000 miles on it (12/2015) When I got the car I took it to Volkswagen and had a costly 3000 bill. Now the boots are gone Air conditioning is shot Catalytic converter went out power steering went out Can only use cruise control if head lights are in the bright position The cruise goes out if I make a right turn. Get oil change every twice a year, had power steering fluid changed 2 years ago Had to get new radiator oil leaks all new hoses, there was a lot more but I don't have my records available at the moment I cant even remember all of it The mileage is terrible. Between 14 and 16 miles per gallon Had all tune ups I WOULD NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN Would love to sell the good parts

Fooled Three Times

Boogalosi, 11/19/2010

I owned a VW Scirocco back in the early 90s and it was an unbelievable piece of $#%@. Literally, every three months it had to go in the shop. Several years later I thought I would give VW another chance and bought a Jetta. I thought the Scirocco was a piece of $#$%. This car made the Scirocco look reliable. I told myself I would never buy VW again. Well my daughter last year kept bugging and bugging me to buy her a Passat. Jeeze, I didn't think it was possible but this car was worse than my first two VWs. I've only owned three VWs in my life and they were ALL terrible. Please take my advice...DO NOT BUY ONE!

12345...8