Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Overall, a Great Pick
By cknudsen

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as an economical AWD car with great features. My only disappointment with it has been the gas poor mileage. Over two years the best mileage that I have gotten has been 24.5 mpg and the worst was 20 mpg and I am averaging around 22-23. Since I traded in my previous car in hopes of the 28 mpg on the sticker, this is a disappointment. It has great pickup for a 4-cylinder vehicle. The interior is very nice with comfortable seats. This car has only been in the shop for routine service (24,000 miles and counting). Note: some places (Walmart, etc.) will not do oil changes on this car.

I love the styling, heated seats, and huge cargo area (great for the garden center).

It should have MP3 support for the CD player, 16" wheels available on other models, it is nearly impossible to change your own air filter, the engine fan can be a bit noisy, and make Monster mats standard.

Test Drive Carefully and Completely
By FastFred

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've driven the VW for one year and I am unhappy with it. The dashboard instruments cannot be seen in the daylight! AC display panel is a joke, dark and almost illegible. The Monsoon radio on AM cannot be tuned in clearly. The dealer says: That's typical of VW radios! My car's gas mileage is quite low for a V6. I am averaging 13-15 mpg around town, 20-23 mpg on thehighway. Overall, consider a Honda or a Toyota for the same or less money.

The VW is quiet on the road.

Fix the dash lights (white, not blue) during daytime driving. Add a QUALITY radio!

Passat Wagen 1.8T
By Ken Krigbaum

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

To be fair, I have not had the Passat that long (2 months). It currently has 7,600 miles, mostly highway miles. So far, I have been impressed. I generally trade cars every year, and I usually buy Toyotas. I still don't think anyone matches Toyota for quality, value, reliability, etc., which begs the question, "Why a VW?" Well, to put it simply, it's "the ride." It is a driver's car at a great price. To be sure, this is a touring car, and that is where it shines. At 80+mph, it's "at home" getting 40 mpg or better. In the city, its performance is a bit lurchy. In traffic, the turbo isn't a great match.

As I said, the ride is quite remarkable. I have enjoyed the triptronic transmission, but I don't use it that much. Comfort is very important, and I should mention that this car exceeds it's competion easily. You really would have to spend much more to match it.

I would love to see this car offered in a hybrid, or perhaps, in a variable fuel.

Great car
By jmg

A year and 7,500 miles after buying the car, it has been to the shop once -- for the scheduled oil change and service. Couldn't ask for more from a family wagon. It handles the streets of Manhattan just as nicely as the interstate. And lots of room for all our stuff.

The great cargo capacity and fuel economy.

Stronger AC, our wagon has a black exterior and the AC could be colder.

The Best Car Ever Built
By larry golin

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Most people who drive with me think the car is a V8 it has tremendous pickup, the seats are perfect for long distance driving with correct lumbar support and height adjustment. The car is equipped with all kinds of little niceties that others do not have. Such as lift away windshield wipers, stickless front hood holds, both front window express up and down, outside control of windows and moonroof with key window control without the key turned on, on board computer with total MPG and momentary MPG, total miles left on tank, Long term MPG and short term MPG etc. etc. It has both manual and auto shift which I like to brake the engine or going on a twisty turney road.

The smooth effortless ride and acceleration, and the firm brakes.

The rear hatch open with the remote would help instead of every time pressing the remote to open the hatch.