Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 355 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

My first car
By lanczer

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Father has owned 7 VWs in his lifetime. When it was time for me to get my licence my dad gave me his passat. I got it with 170,000 miles on it and absolutely no problems. This car was bought new and driven everywhere.
I have driven many cars and this was by far my favorite. Its a Luxury Experience with superb handling and performance for its size.
Only a short year after getting the car i was hit by a drunk driver. i was driven of the road, went airborne, and ended up in the woods. All of the airbags went off and i was able to walk away completely unscathed. The care was totaled but needless to say this car saved my life. Just yesterday i bought another one. I cant live without my VW.

LOVE IT FOR THREE YEARS
By galiti

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent car for one or five passengers!
Quiet, comfortable, reliable and safe.
Good traction.

Despised VW Passat
By despisedvw

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My car a VW Passat, its the worst experience I've ever made. Had 36K miles when I brought it after 42k the oil was mixing with G12 fluid causing it to over heat. Fix thanx to warranty $4000. Every year Im replacing CV Joints. any little thing to fix or change cost an arm and a leg...............I hate hate VW

Most problematic VW I've owned
By waterwish

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 4th VW. I had two '87 Jettas (one was replaced after having been totaled), and a 1999 Passat wagon that I bought used. The '99 was the BEST, lowest maintenance car that I have ever owned. I bought the 2004 Passat Wagon because they were offering 0% interest. I thought I was doing right to get a brand new car for a lower payment. I regret it now. In 2010, I spent close to $3,000 on this car for crazy repairs, along with other repairs that were under warranty or recalls, but still required the inconvenience of taking it in. Right now it is in the shop again to the tune of $1,000. I've filed a claim with VW Customer Care. It's a lemon!

Comfort, controls, ride, mileage is pretty good for a car its size.

The engineering stinks on these post-2000 VWs. Everything is tied to the onboard computer and is hidden away so deeply that the labor is ridiculous. I was quoted over $500 to get rid of a short that was causing my turn signal tick-tick noise to pop up randomly! I can't replace my own headlamp bulbs like I could on the '99. Everything seems to be designed to earn the dealer the most money for repairs. It's ridiculous to be charged $160 for a gas cap! And the inconvenience of taking it in! For a headlamp replacement? Who do these engineers think they are?

Please do not make a mistake of buying a VW
By mandydj

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Worst car experience ever. Bought a 2004 passat wagon 1/1/2010. Had 60K miles. Every month or two, I had to put it in the shop. Brakes, belts, engine coils, thermostat, both front axels, airflow sensor, a/c unit, etc... all had to be replaced over the 10 months I owned it. Thank goodness I was able to get rid of it before the other well known things go wrong. I got rid of it at 74K miles... heard about the turbos in these cars going out, timing belt, etc.... never again.

When a car is not reliable and is always having issues, it makes the rest of the car not enjoyable

Just dont buy a VW.... there is no improvements.