Used 2004 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 357 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

We're never ever ever getting back together
By Terri

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

My father passed in 2009 and the car was given to me with 17,000 miles on it. The car has always been garaged.
I cannot drive the car now and it only has 53000 miles on it (12/2015) When I got the car I took it to Volkswagen and had a costly 3000 bill.

Now the boots are gone
Air conditioning is shot
Catalytic converter went out
power steering went out
Can only use cruise control if head lights are in the bright position The cruise goes out if I make a right turn.

Get oil change every twice a year, had power steering fluid changed 2 years ago

Had to get
new radiator
oil leaks
all new hoses, there was a lot more but I don't have my records available at the moment

I cant even remember all of it

The mileage is terrible. Between 14 and 16 miles per gallon Had all tune ups

I WOULD NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN

Would love to sell the good parts

Trad d In the Car 2016- Emissions Tests Problems
By nancy wiggins

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the handling& has enough power to make mountain trips a breeze. Replacement parts are too expensive for me. Low height is easy entry & a great feature but front bumper & oil pan (replaced 4 times-speed bumps)are too low. Very costly continuous repair on poor US roads.(NC&SC). Bought it to serve as a company car to haul executives as well as a personal car. Works well on both counts.Got the German made luxury edition and have enjoyed the features. The emissions system is a problem.

Great longevity
By Lc

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have the 2004 model. After 11 years and a great ( indy VW) mechanic and regular maint. and oil changes, I've had minimal costly repairs.
Maybe, I'm in the minority but I'm holding on to it, with just 115,000. My last VW went past 200,000.

Stay away!!! Has SOOO many issues!!!
By passathater

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2004 Passat GL in 2011 with 91k mi. on it for $7900. In just 3 years I've spent over $3600 on it not including regular maintenance. Oil sludge, both front axle boots torn, both brake rotors, leaking coolant, new thermostat housing and new thermostat, and many, many other problems!! Currently at 130k miles the timing belt broke. Could cost me $900-$3000+ to fix depending on the damage done to the engine. It's current value wasn't even worth it to fix. I sincerely advise EVERYONE to stay away from this vehicle!!! I personally will NEVER buy a Volkswagen again!! Don't make the mistake I did... DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

Best vehicle I ever owned
By paulinthesouth

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reading review after negative review I wonder whether I was just lucky, or whether my experience is more representative of the norm.
My Passat was totalled last summer when a tree blown over by a storm crushed my garage (of course the Passat was in the garage).

My experience?
95,000 miles with only 2 service matters.
Fuel pump failed at 88,000. Parts and labor < $300.
Replaced one CV boot at same time as a precaution. Parts and Labor also about $300.
That's it.

Outstanding performance and handling. Understated but elegant interior. Good ergonomics.
Seats were firm but wonderful for long trips.

5 speed stick combined with rev range and torque band. Agile handling. Monsoon stereo. Consistent 31-32 mpg cross-country at 75 + mph. Confident handling extended well past 100 mph. Value. Excluding 0 - 60 times, there might have been an outer 10% highway performance envelope of what a 3 series could do that the Passat couldn't match, but that was outside of anything I would have the stones to do, anyway. Thank the stars there weren't any police around during some of the back road cross-country flights I made in my Passat.