Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

2003 Passat Wagon
By Al

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car looks good and drives well but it lacks in reliability. It burns oil and is plagued with recalls. This is the second VW I own and again to be disappointed.

Handles good on curves and has good acceleration. Looks aerodynamic but is poor on mileage.

I think a total redesign of the engine would be a good call. Engines burning oil are totally unacceptable these days.The interior should also be redesigned to provide more comfort. Germans back to the drafting board.

Love to Drive
By Erin

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I Haven't had this car long but I love it. It is very fun to drive. Good fuel economy for a V8. When driving in the mountains I get between 16-18 mpg and on the freeway 22-25 mpg. I live in the foothills and the power is great going up the hills. I bought the car with 64000 miles and the only problem was whoever owned it last didn't have the rear brakes replaced properly and it broke the rear springs. Not a big deal though. I had it fixed and it runs fine now. Car seats fit well in the back and I have more than enough room in the back to fit all the kids stuff (Pop-up crib, stroller ect)for a weekend trip. Great Car and I have no regrets purchasing it.

Sun roof, heated seats, great power and AWD!! I love the blue and red for the interior lights on the dashboard. It makes everything easy to see.

The radio controls on the stereo don't work which I knew when purchasing. I don't know if this is a flaw in this model. AWD offered in the V6 (Later years did offer this)

Love/Hate Relationship
By DG

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I ordered a 2003 VW Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon in 2002, direct from VW. Consumer Reports had written a review that said this was the BEST wagon you could buy, so I believed them and switched from my 20-year relationship with Mazda. At first I LOVED this car, and I especially loved the dealership. Over the years, I have never had a car have so many recalls - and in my case, everything that could break did break prior to the recall - so I've had to have these things replaced twice!

Things I love: the look, the drive, the interior, the stereo, the leather heated seats, the cargo space.

Better quality construction; regular gas. I expected better engineering from Germans. For the money, I don't think I got a great car. I'm going back to Mazda or Toyota.

Almost 100,000 and feels like new
By BillFromNY

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased this car new in 03 (03 Passat Wagon 5 MT, heated seats, monsoon sound), my wife drove it for 98,000 miles with minimal hassle. She replaced with an 08 Passat Sedan (6 MT not offered in 09). Car has been well maintained by dealer with mainly wear and tear items. Car is a blast to drive. Kind of a sleeper; five year old station wagon that can get up and move. You feel safe and sure footed in all weather and all road conditions. Mileage: I have been getting 26 to 27 in city driving (I do stomp on it a bit but coast steady when I can); I think on highway only trips it gets 32 or 33.

Build, comfort, solidness, handling. Germans do it right, zoom.

Bulbs are difficult to replace (fairly common in a new car)

2003 Wagon great car
By BillfromNY

2003 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GL Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2003 Passat GL Wagon, 5 sp MT. Heated seats and monsoon audio. Great car. My wife drove for 5 years 98,000 miles and we bought her a new 08 Passat sedan (arrest me red) with a 6 sp MT. This car is new to me since I only drove it a handful of times since 2003. Ride: Great Performance: Great Comfort: Great Safety: You feel very secure in a VW Reliability: Fine, we have a very good dealer near by that is a pleasure to deal with.

Performance, Comfort, solid feel and fun to drive.