Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

One of my favorites
By wg_h66

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased mine used '07. Overall a very fun and satisfying car to own. The fuel efficiency really wasn't that great and it is premium only, so it can be expensive. The only issue I had with it was due to the cabin pollen filter not being maintained properly. Two days of heavy rain and the passenger side floor was filled causing computer damage. (I had no idea going in that this was an issue). If you are reading these reviews before purchase then you will have a very dependable car.

Classy look, luxurious interior, (in Michigan...the heated seats were very nice). AWD was so much fun in the winter.

Maybe having an engine that can run on less octane?

Worst car ever
By dreidjr

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car used in march of 08 with 70k on it, within the first month my car was back at the VW dealer water magically found its way into the cabin destroying the CCM $1200 fix. Two months later ignition coils go bad causing car to have a misfire... $350 fix. 4 months later i pull off from the stop light i smell coolant and see smoke coming from engine compartment.. pop the hood theres coolant squirting everywhere.. towed to vw dealer 1300 for a clamp.. really vw?? a day later same thing happens again..within the 4 years ive owned this car i probably paid more in repairs than its worth DO NOT BUY this car unless you like wasting money

interior and exterior design car looks sleek. paint quality is well still shines up like its new

everything that makes the car run and drive...car is built very very poorly

passat
By marlene2

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

the worst car nothing but trouble after 3 years

2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T
By vw2003passat

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2003. It's still with me: 149,500 miles later. I appreciate a car that's made it this far, and is fun to drive, but the VW Passat exacts a price: lots of problems and plenty of expensive maintenance. I've had a bad radio, bad brake light switch, malfunctioning seat heaters, bad airbag light, three replaced CV boots, a bad oil cooler, and the check engine light is on so much I'm surprised the bulb hasn't burned out. Add to this $40 wipers, $70 oil changes, and VW dealerships who are terribly nice while they rattle off a long list of questionable repairs. If you're considering this car or any VW, I highly recommend you stay far, far away.

Eight years later.
By dbcooper13

2003 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my '03 Passat new.
I got it because Edmunds and others loved it.
And at the time, everyone and their brother had an Accord or Camry. Eight years later, the transmission's gone.
Rather than fix it, my mechanic told me to junk it.
I'm not hard on cars.
But cleaning out my glove compartment, I found all my receipts from work to the car over the years.
Totaled approx. $7,400.
The car was fine for 4 years, then turned into an absolute lemon.
I would not buy another VW.
Ever.