Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 587 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

problem after problem
By j

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new and each yer I have had to pay out at least 2,000 or more a year for repairs, now my car needs a new engine. My car stayed in the shop for 4 mths at a time I have had to put my car in the shop at least 3 time a year

everything

Stay away
By cuse311

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for almost 6 years now and while it was fun during the warranty period, lately it has been a real drain on my finances to keep it running. Problem after problem keeps showing up from sensors, coils, thermostat. If you like to be punished then go out and buy one, otherwise stay away. This car is very unreliable and very, very expensive to fix.

Interior is very well done.

Better reliability. Needs more power.

Love/Hate Relationship
By DG

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I ordered a 2003 VW Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon in 2002, direct from VW. Consumer Reports had written a review that said this was the BEST wagon you could buy, so I believed them and switched from my 20-year relationship with Mazda. At first I LOVED this car, and I especially loved the dealership. Over the years, I have never had a car have so many recalls - and in my case, everything that could break did break prior to the recall - so I've had to have these things replaced twice!

Things I love: the look, the drive, the interior, the stereo, the leather heated seats, the cargo space.

Better quality construction; regular gas. I expected better engineering from Germans. For the money, I don't think I got a great car. I'm going back to Mazda or Toyota.

2003 Volkswagen Passat 1,8T
By MirAli

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this passat brand new, fun to drive, looks very sharp but kinda noisy and very poorly built, we got 5 recalls within a 2 years- fuel p pump, brake light switch, heated seats burned that was recall, factory heat shield had a recall stating it could start a fire in the engine, the stereo system read "error" within the first months of purchase (warranty), brakes needed replacing around 20k. Transmission doesn't feel reliable, got an oil change guy told me I had engine sludge building up ($120) to clean, water pump+thermostat replaced at 36k, last night I was driving then the check engine light started blinking and car started shaking (misfire?) and noise at 42,500 I think its done.

The handling, the sharp look, the turbo, the interior design

Over all build of the car, maybe a dipstick for the trans fluid? or at least some long lasting fluid, oil issues, engine heat issue, improve the turbo set up

lemon
By Greg

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ignition coils go bad between 50-75 K miles. Major design flaw. VW will not claim responsibility for this issue as I have contacted them. I don't mind 3 or 4 recalls and countless other items that had to be replaced during the warranty, but it is unfair for the owner to pay for ignition coil replacement, which seems to be a common issue with this engine. Ask any VW owner or dealer.