Used 2003 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 588 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

New Car
By Mertdawg

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for about a month and I LOVE IT. It's comparable to Acura's. I can't wait to put Yokohama Tires on it and fix it up piece by piece! RECALLS are great. A new TURBO has been put in it! You can still smell it breaking in ;) The turbo reminds me of V tec in my '98 Acura 3.0 CL.

The triptonic manual system on it and the turbo function on automatic. You can really get this car going

Automatic seats yo... Automatic seats! I wish it came with a Sub.

2003 Passat Wagon
By Al

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car looks good and drives well but it lacks in reliability. It burns oil and is plagued with recalls. This is the second VW I own and again to be disappointed.

Handles good on curves and has good acceleration. Looks aerodynamic but is poor on mileage.

I think a total redesign of the engine would be a good call. Engines burning oil are totally unacceptable these days.The interior should also be redesigned to provide more comfort. Germans back to the drafting board.

Love to Drive
By Erin

2003 Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I Haven't had this car long but I love it. It is very fun to drive. Good fuel economy for a V8. When driving in the mountains I get between 16-18 mpg and on the freeway 22-25 mpg. I live in the foothills and the power is great going up the hills. I bought the car with 64000 miles and the only problem was whoever owned it last didn't have the rear brakes replaced properly and it broke the rear springs. Not a big deal though. I had it fixed and it runs fine now. Car seats fit well in the back and I have more than enough room in the back to fit all the kids stuff (Pop-up crib, stroller ect)for a weekend trip. Great Car and I have no regrets purchasing it.

Sun roof, heated seats, great power and AWD!! I love the blue and red for the interior lights on the dashboard. It makes everything easy to see.

The radio controls on the stereo don't work which I knew when purchasing. I don't know if this is a flaw in this model. AWD offered in the V6 (Later years did offer this)

Least reliable car I've ever owned
By Derwinator

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everything you've read about the Passat is true - they are great to drive, look awesome, and have excellent fit and finish. Have really enjoying DRIVING this car, but can't say the same for my experience with its reliability. Hands down the most expensive and problematic car I've ever owned. If it wasn't in the shop for a $85 oil change (synthetic required by VW) it was in for a service recall or a problem like water leaking into the passenger side for the 4th time. Finally, the water pump failed at 78K mile destroying the timing belt and engine in the process. I've had enough and this car was sold as soon as I got it back from the repair shop. I'm in a Honda again and happy.

Great to drive, excellent handling, plenty of power, looks great.

Put reliability over tuning the suspension? Put more effort into making a car that doesn't fail every 4-6 months. Stand behind your product when it does fail and not leave owners stuck with high repair bills.

LOVE my Passat
By SFM

2003 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car with great fuel economy. Whenever I am on the highway I get around 30 mpg. Mine has 95,000 on it right now and is still running great. The exterior is a little boring but greatly improved on in the new Passats. The body is very sturdy, I have backed into my garage door after slamming the gas and it barely has a scratch. Great for a first car or anyone who is on the road a lot.

heated seats, sunroof, big trunk for sedan, trunk also expands because back seats fold down.

sunroof gets haywire sometimes if you turn the car off while it is shutting.