Used 2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

It all depends
By madbiker09

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and was very frustrated by the dealer until the warranty went out at 50k. I decided to do all the maintenance myself and have loved it ever since. At 173K the car still drives smooth and fast and gets outstanding gas mileage considering it's size and performance. Like many other people I have had to replace CV, coils (recalled), brakes, timing belt, and a thermostat. Other than those items the car is as I bought it. I'm sure I will see 200k as long as the clutch holds up. At 173k it still spins the tires when I take off fast. :) I think two things helped my car last. For one, I have always used synthetic oil and secondly I always use premium gas.

The Turbo and the 5 speed. I drove an auto and the 5 speed before I purchased and I can say they are not the same car. I also like the comfy seats and the overall interior is a good design.

Better CV joints and boots, my brother has a nissan of the same age and more miles and he never replaced a CV.

Recommended
By 4motion02

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the car since new. It has performed well over that time with only routine maintenance required. I would buy another one (assuming it was taken care of) in a minute.

4motion, beautiful interior

It's dialed in for comfort more than sport.

Why I will never by another VW again
By Disappointed

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I didn't review this site before purchasing my 2002 1.8t Passat Wagon (really sorry I didn't because this review will sound like many of the others).The car does look sweet,turbo was pretty awesome,& the car is stacked w/ features (sunroof, pw, pl, tiptronic, cruise, lots of space). We purchased the car with under 80000 miles. Less than 1 month into owning it the a/c compressor/clutch quit, the glove box handle fell off, a bracket under car came off, the heat quit working, the tiptronic would not switch from manual to automatic, instrument panel was 50% dim, transmission started to make a grinding noise when decelerating, 2 vent slats for the a/c fell out & paint started to peel frm inside

Sunroof, acceleration, and getting rid of it! We had it for less than 3 months and only put 3000 miles on it; car had about 81,000 before trading it for a Honda Accord

Improve the reliability...it is RIDICULOUS that a car would have SO MANY problems in such little time and under 100,000 miles. Not to mention repairs of all the items listed above were going to be around $3000 (about $1400 just for the a/c), this car was not worth the money or the time we had it

Conflicted
By Jaimy

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car new, and planned on keeping it for a long time. I love the way the car drives. However, the gas mileage is not great. (18 AVG. around town, 24 avg on hwy) Especially when you have to use premium. So far, we've replaced several ignition coils, two water pumps, two temp.sensors, and a timing belt. The front bumper keeps coming loose. And now the car makes a suspicious clunking noise. It's most likely the axle. And the radio has issues. We will be replacing it very soon.

??

Build a more reliable car!

It's German
By RedBull59

2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Having been w/ my parents when they bought this new, I have watched my dad and myself change the oil every 5000 miles, and will say you MUST use synthetic, i use castrol synthetic, and I have never had the majority of problems these people speak of, after coming from an old s-10 and porsche 944 the lights shine bright for me, and I have never had oil sludge. I replaced the timing belt, but that was preventive maintenance, and the fuel system has never given me a problem. I did have to replace the idle regulator, but it's whatever. This car has been great for my parents, and now me, it has taken numerous cross country trips, and never given us a problem. I would highly recommend a VW.

Heated Leather Seats, sunroof, turbo, German engineering, both front windows go up and down automatically, fun factor.

more horsepower