Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Never again
By Tang

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car was brought brand new, driven with great care, never been in accident, oil changed every 4000-5000 miles. But it died twice and had to be towed in 3 years, same problem - the secondary air pump filled with water! The drive train was covered 100K / 10 years, but that pump was part of the "emission system" so I had to pay $750 each time to have that fixed. The second time it happened I traded it in for a new Toyota 2 days later and never will walk into a VW dealer again.

Great interior / exterior design.

1st to 2nd gear (manual) is rough. Poor quality, poor workmanship. Irresponsible dealers refuse to honor a chronic design problem.

Best Car I have had!
By Zablan

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is easily the best car I have had and continue to have. It is extremely reliable considering I do push the car hard and never service it more than once a year/ It now has over 285000 miles on the clock and still runs perfect. I also have a Audi A4 (2007) and daughter has a BMW 530 (2006), its definitely a better car than these and a bargain on fuel consumption, maintenance and insurance. The only problem I have is the velvour interior attracts dust and looks out of date now and the build design is boring. But if your not worried about its looks then this is probably the best car in the world. Note its popular with cabbies hence must be reliable and cheap to run.

Quick and excellent fuel consultion a full tank gets me 350 miles with ease more when using motorway.

Try and get one with a leather interior. plus installed cruise control on it for only £350!

Love/hate relationship with this $-pit
By Jeanne

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love everything aesthetically and performance-wise about this car. But I HATE the repair bills. Last year it cost me $4K in total repairs, and more this year. I've always been good about oil changes and general maintenance, but man o man it got expensive after 100K miles. Tie rods, ball joints, brakes, O2 sensors (and there are a lot of them), catalytic converter. Engine light NEVER goes off. Now it won't pass inspection without $1800 more in repairs and I'd rather spend money on a newer car than old, so I'm saying good bye (and sadly, good riddance) to the first car I ever truly loved. Must say I'm getting a decent trade in allowance from a VW dealer. No one else wants to touch it!

leather, sun roof, temp. controls, cool dash, great paint looks new after 120K miles! Love the roomy cargo space, roof rack, great sound. Nice car for long road trips. Love everything about its looks and performance.

Not much you can do to improve a 2001 model at this point. My biggest disappointments: it seems impossible to fix for the long term. I wanted this car to last for years more, and it can't without repairs that just cost too much, so I have to trade it in. I will miss so much about this car.

It's a shame
By Steve C.

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

It let me down. I've maintained this car well. Babied it, in fact. Did all of the proper fluid changes, including brake and coolant flushes, rotated tires, etc. But it still began to require expensive repairs around 70,000 miles. Brake pads only lasted around 30K. The exterior and interior held up well. The leather seats are soft and durable without much care and conditioning. The car handles great, does good in the snow, but oil leaks and coolant problems ruined an otherwise great experience. I would've kept buying VW products if they could just hold together to 100,000 miles without expensive repairs. Sadly, they can't. Nice car, just don't keep it much past the warranty.

Handling and interior.

Reliability and more help from corporate if you can prove that you maintained the car well.

Money pit
By learnedmylesson

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first "new" car. Had been driving a 93 Buick LeSabre with 100k+ miles that never gave me a problem. Bought the wagon in May '07 for $10,900 w/ 62k miles and spent $4,815.04 in 2008 on repairs ($391 so far in '09). I've lost track of all the issues I've had. Every time I go to the mechanic I ask "what am I doing wrong" the answer is always "it's not you it's the car, it's a VW." To name a few: Catalytic converter, 3 recalls, front pipe leak, and after a day of heavy rain the electrical unit died.

Heated seats are lovely and the car is comfortable.

If you want to spend $92/hr in labor alone on a vehicle that has 'issues' every other month then by all means buy a VW.