Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Terrific car but expensive to fix
By Susan

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We love this car. It is so comfortable, secure, tremendous dexterity, tight driving circle, and compares really well in performane and looks and comfort to our friends more expensive BMW's. Have had 9 years, bought new, mid-year, i.e. new model. It was perfect for about 50,000 miles and then things started happening. I just replaced the water pump; the really bad thing is there is no warning that it is going to fail soon... I could have fixed before starting big road trip. But, we may well buy another Passat; they just feel so good to drive and you feel safe. Thinking this time of a lease so as not to keep an older car that we need to worry about.

Improve electronic warnings, cheaper replacement VW parts, less of a dealer mark up.

Piece of Saat
By dave

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you love emptying your wallet, buy one today! Timing belt busted at 72K miles doing 20 mph, caused $2500 in damage. Class action suit only included 2000 yr model. Now at 99K, been in the shop 7X this year. Airbag fault code, ball joints, brakes, trunk lock failure, intermittent power lock issues, A/C probs, oil leaks, etc, etc.. Stay very far away from this early 2000 models, they are indeed a Piece of Saat!

Paint has held up well. Runs great when it is running right.

An explosive device :)

What a lemon
By ahogan

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The VW Passat has more trouble than I have ever had with a car before. The issues with oil sludging and all the repair costs make me want to run back to a Japanese maker. I will never buy a VW again.

Worst car ever!
By tina

2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but a major headache. I bought it brand new and within 3 weeks the alternator died and had to be replaced. It was still under warranty so I didn't think much about it. The last 4 years I have spent more on repairs then the car is worth and now the catalytic converters are about to go. Last time I went to my mechanic everyone else waiting for their car owned a 2001 passat and we all shared our horror stories. Recently the drains for the sunroof leaked into the car flooding the electronic brain. Another $2,000 repair. I will never own another VW.

It's a comfortable tank

electrical, sun roof, catalytic converters, everything.

Reliable Solid 2001 v6 5M 120K miles
By Raj

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Solid Build Quality Quiet, decent performance. Feels secure at highway speed compared to my Sienna 10 Major expense CV Boot (axle replaced), ABS controller, timing belt.