Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Lotta luxury for little money
By Jolene

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used as my primary vehicle. I haul a lot of furniture in my business and wanted the roomy rear section without going for an SUV. It filled the bill more than perfectly. I love the handling, German-engineering, and roomy, comfortable leather seats. We always take this car on road trips and enjoy the luxury and comfort. I have had absolutely no problems with this gem!

handling, leather interior, sun roof, CD player

None!

Caution Germans don't do Electronics
By Gene

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Over $6000 in repairs, thank goodness I bought an extended warranty. Mostly electronic, including power seat, heated seat, heated seat control, dash instruments, check engine light, climate control temp electronics, cv boots, leaking camshaft seal. Would buy again if it came with a 100K warranty, otherwise forget it. Really a shame because it looks good, rides good, handles good, has plenty of power.

power, I had the V-6. handling is great. Styling is very nice for a wagon, leather interior very durable.

VW should buy their electronic packages from Japan, maybe Honda or Toyota.

Love this car
By Brentkate

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned three Volkswagens and loved all of them. The Passat wagon is fun to drive, great on long trips and comfortable for our family of four day to day, not to mention it looks great. It has been in the shop several for various things such as the brake sensors going out, replacing tie-rod ends and cracked oil pan. It developed the typical oil leaks around 80,000 miles and sometimes we still get a whif of oil smell well after it was repaired. It is great to drive and easy to maintain. Find a mechanic who knows Passats inside and out, they have helped us anticipate several things before they became costly. There have been some issues, but I would by another one tomorrow

Comfort, ride, handling, looks, mpg, interior room and trim, heated seats,

VW dealers and mechanics all know the basic things that ALWAYS go out or happen in the Passat, if they all know, somebody ought to tell VW so that these issues get fixed! Oil pan is right up front and VERY close to the road. Better cup holders, they are pretty flimsy.

Sludge
By ugh

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car until the sludge set in. The dealer indicates that there is sludge ruining the engine of this car (and thousands of others like it). It is outrageous that VW will not remedy this problem. It is clearly a design flaw that is costing VW customers thousands of dollars. Also, I have had to replace the O2 sensor several times.

I love the interior of the car. The lighting, seat belts (for car seats), and seats.

Fix the engine problems.

Best all round car I've ever owned
By allen

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 Passat GLS 1.8T wagon, 5 speed. A few mods, VW sport springs, wider wheels and tires, rear sway bar. To my surprise this has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Almost 70,000 miles, driven pretty hard by several people. No major problems yet and only a handful of minor ones. All fixed at home. Changed the oil religiously with Mobil 1 synthetic, upgraded brake rotors and pads. Great car. Just got lucky I guess.

We call this our Goldilocks car. Not too big, not too small, gets pretty good mileage, corners pretty hard, holds pretty much stuff. The ultimate "does everything pretty well" car. Even looks cool in black. Wagons look way better then sedans.

Should come with a sport suspension. Easy enough to retrofit. VW sport springs and Bilstein HD shocks plus a rear swaybar.