Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Fun to drive ... expensive to maintain.
By big guy

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased this Passat based on its size and safety. I love the way it drives but don't love the maintenance costs. I had to replace the stock tires at 18k mi. and replaced the front and rear brake rotors at around 21k miles. Now have 40k miles and rear rotors are warped again (I don't drive aggressively and use the car to commute 15 miles back and forth to work). Replaced 2 headlamps, 3 tail lamps, and the latch broke on glove box at 23k miles that dealer wouldn't cover under warranty. Initially loved the car but the shine is off the apple after spending more on maintenance than previous 3 cars combined.

Interior is beautiful. Love the "indiglow" instruments and how every switch is illuminated at night. Car has good balance between sporty and comfy in handling and performance. Lots of head and leg room.

Stop getting light bulbs from a cracker jack box. Honor warranty items. Use more durable material on brake rotors; they should definitely last more than 20k miles under normal driving conditions.

This is a disappoinment
By ken

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as new. Great style, works fine in two years until last year when suddenly the oil light came on 4000 miles after last oil change, took to the dealership and they told me the engine is burning oil in 1 qt. per 1000 mile, which I suspect even higher, the warranty forfeited because I didn't keep all the oil change record. the maintenance is fairly expensive overall, I took the car to the same dealership recently for battery change and it cost $400. I already regret buying it and am telling my friends not to buy it.

style

engine quality, transmission quality, maintenance expense

OK, but disappointed
By Disappointed

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I do mostly city driving in my 2001 Volkswagen Passat New GLS 1.8T. There is a lack of power while in 1st gear. Getting into 2nd gear still has a lot of resistence. In the 29,000 miles that I have had this car, the tires went bald, the driver door latch stopped working and I had to hold the door closed while I drove it to the dealer, the driver's head light died, there have been rattles, the ride quality diminished (takes bumps harshly), the auto up driver window hasn't worked once since day one, and it is true what they say about VW service...short and rude. I pity those who have bought the $70,000 Phaeton and have to put up with VW's dealer attitudes. I'll go back to Lexus soon.

My Passat is fun to drive, has nice blue lights, a nice interior design and good power on the highway for a 4 cylinder vehicle.

Make the shifting more smooth, improve the quality (those nagging small problems amount to huge headaches), treat customers better, and get better tires.

Won't make this mistake again
By Disappointed NJ Girl

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan New GLX V6 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

After researching many AWD vehicles, including SUVs, I bought a Volkswagen Passat AWD GLX because of the handling and many options that you get for the money. Well, you get what you pay for. As soon as I got my car, I brought it in three times for warped rotors and was told by VW each time that there was nothing wrong. Literally, as soon as the warranty was up, VW agreed that my rotors were warped and charged me $700 to fix them. When I called the main VW office, they didn’t want to hear about the unfair treatment that I received. Then one year and $1,200 later, my ignition coil needed to be replaced. Now another year later, I have another hefty bill to pay for the car's throttle body & catalytic converter to be replaced.

The AWD, heated seated, fun to drive when it runs correctly, the interior quality materials, stereo sound, minimal road noise, sharp turn radius, and many standard features.

VW Customer Service is the worst. The car is slow off the line, but peppy after it gets to 50 mph (this might improve after my throttle body is replaced...I pick my car up today), put a 6 CD player inside the car instead of the trunk.

would buy again
By js

2001 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLX V6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Only complaint is quality of the leather. Looks great everywhere except driver's seat, weathers too quickly, but gets used 90% more than others.

eery blue dashboard glow major kick when accelerate solid drive, excellent handling FUN to drive.