Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great car
By NS

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Passat at 120k, I'm up to 155 now with no major problems. Only repairs I've had to make were a faulty coolant sensor, serp belt, and a control arm - all less than $300, and pretty routine maintenance. Car gets good mpg's, I typically get around 28-30 on the interstate.

Design, sunroof, engine performance, handling, gas mileage, quality.

Seats are a bit stiff; I'm comfortable in them but some people aren't. Decent cupholders would be nice too, as opposed to the flimsy, poorly placed plastic ones.

Dont waste your time or money
By unhappy vw owner

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

If she didn't wreck my Civic I wouldn't be on here. Parts are outrageous, car has hardly any power looking for new engine now after for months ownership cheap interior, loose steering, radio has bad reception. Seat recliners are bad, nothing good about this car but the sunroof. Turbo is extremely weak. So don't try to talk you're dad into it because it's definitely not worth the hassle first hand. Bad idea.

room inside and sunroof nothing else worth talking about.

fire the German designer of this car. new upholstery and mechanics i got 6000 miles out of this car before replacing the engine

Still a Keeper
By stillakeeper

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new. Had 3 previous Jettas and a 93 Passat VR6, so we're worried about reliability but liked the car. Overall only one real problem. Water pump began slow leak at 65,000 miles so had to do timing belt prematurely, and then the replacement water pump leaked 6 mos later. Dealer had to redo job for free. They showed me the part -- a $65 plastic piece of junk that required a $1600 repair. Otherwise, our has held up well. No other problems, no deterioration. Still looks and performs like a new car. Routine maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. not bad if you use an independent shop.

Ride and handling especially at high speed. Real world 29 mpg at 80 mph. 32 mpg at 65 mph. And 22-24 in mixed suburban driving, which is not bad overall on a 200hp V6. Giant trunk. Smooth powerful engine.

Obviously they used some cheap parts in all these cars. Then again, we had a near catastrophic failure of a similar plastic water pump on a Mazda Protege, which is considered a very reliable car and has been for us. They all seem to do the same thing.

99 Passat
By Craig D

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

I have been very happy with this car. I drive a lot since I am in sales. I get good HWY mileage 28 to 30 MPG. Very good looking car. Leather seats holding up well. Outside of timing belt replacement, I have only had one other major repair expense in 2 years I have owned Passat. Keep good tires on it.

Just plain fun to drive. Great power. Handles great on HWY and high speeds.

Great car!
By Kaylene

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love this car. I drove a stick shift, and it was the best car i have ever owned. I would recommend this if you love going fast. GREAT CAR!

I liked the interior lights, the color of the spedometer at night.

Cheaper to fix when something goes wrong.