Used 1999 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I ignored the reviews and bought one anyway, DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!
By dontbuyavw

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 4dr Sedan

I read many mixed reviews about Passats before purchasing mine used. It is a 5 speed with 120,000 miles. That may seem high but 4 a stick it really aint to bad. The car is cute and fun to drive but its a POS! Ive had the car 2 months and have had nothing but problems. The power steering went out, had to replace the pump twice and now its making a winding noise as i turn. Cheap made parts are falling off left and right. Blinker light even fell off as i was driving on the interstate. windows are crap and work only when they want to. now it wont even start! Just makes a wierd ticking noise. Its a cute car, but im going back to my busted and rusted chevy cus thats never quit on me!!! [violative content deleted]!!

The sunroof and woodgrain trim is nice, but you can get that on any car. I like the 3 headrest in the back, but really its a hazard as it blocks vision...I loved this car when i drove it off the lot, but that love quickly turned to hate and I would rather drive my 96 rusted out chevy malibu. I hate this car with a passion!

Stop making them. The newer ones are just as bad, they just look a little prettier.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By kachopsticks

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

My family purchased a 99 passat auto 1.8 turbo back in 2008 with roughly 87,000 miles on it.
It has been my daily driver since then and now is about to hit 120,000.
Since buying the car we have had to replace the following in approximate order:
Power Steering Rack: $800
ABS break module: $250 - (we did the install)
Turbo - $1000
Engine Coil Packs - $300
We have also had to replace lots of little things.
My headlight assembly shattered randomly while driving.
The windshield wiper motor broke ($100 for that part!!!). When replacing it I pulled out a NAPPA motor so it was the second time the part had broke.
This is on top of regular maintenance such as tires, oil changes, and breaks.

Hmm... cool features of the car... The directional stick that no longer stays up. Every time i hit a bump I signal to turn left. Sometimes the trunk just will not open. The lights on my AC assembly give out randomly. The paint is pealing. The ac vents break. The seat levers are cranks?? German Engineering I guess... The turbo doesn't know when to boost, and the waste gate basically breaks its self over time. You can feel the car go clunk! One thing I actually do like about this car is the interior. It's sharp looking (mine is the black interior), and it is comfortable even on long drives. Lots of head room.

Also wanted to note, the previous owner had replaced the timing belt and water pump. Every time something breaks the mechanic will tell you it is a "common problem with these cars." So I would say, if you like buying products... that suck, buy this car. I will never in my life buy a VW again. I have owned two cars from the 80's before this that both had way less problems. I had a 89 toyota mr2 with 100000 that didn't break once. For improvements, I would say VW should buy Toyotas or Hondas and put the VW badge on them. German Engineering needs to incorporate some six sigma.

Most Low-Maintenance Car I've Ever Owned
By waterwish

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought the 1999 Passat Wagon used in 2001 or so, with 24K miles on it. It had been an executive car at VW in Dearborn. It must have been charmed, because it was the lowest-maintenance car I've ever owned. I hardly had to spend a dime on that thing except for oil changes and some regular, reasonable maintenance. This was before VW decided to make everything so difficult to repair on all their cars, so the dealers could make a fortune off of consumers with silly repairs. I was able to do simple things like headlamp replacements myself. In 2004 I stupidly traded it for a new one at 0% financing and now I'm stuck with a lemon. Don't buy an '04 Passat Wagon!

Comfort, ride, reliability, mileage, efficiency, lack of breakdowns, low-maintenance.

luvin it!
By lilfay

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I received my passat by accident, but it was a miracle, when i first drove it i was shocked by the solid drive and how smooth it was, it just felt good, i am blessed to say i have had no problems thus far and i am almost on my 1st year with it, only gripe is the anti freeze leaks and must be replaced every 3weeks or so, its a 250 job i dont wana pay for so ima just keep replacing the antifreeze, but this car atleast lets you know that it is low jus like the over protective gas tank which also alerts u when u r at the 1/8 mark, over all this car has been very good 2 me, i do my scheduled maintainence and it maintains, i am lookin 4ward 2 more german cars and i'll keep this til
it's dead :)

love my sunroof, german engineering period!

engine could be a bit more peppy, my 91 accord was a lot faster, lol

used to love her
By Anonymous

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had my 99 Passat for about 2 years. She has well over 200,00 miles and i have had no engine problems. however, i have replaced the drive axle for the second time in about 4 months. I'm still not positive if the first replacement was defective or if there is an unlying issue with the car. Other than that however, i have absolutly no complaints!

remove the star bolts and replace them with phillips head screws. Major home repairs are next to impossible on this vehicle.