Used 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Road well traveled!
By Alex Levine

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car. Great mileage. All around fun veh., top up or down. Very dependable.

Cute Car - prepare for many repairs!
By Dixie West

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible S PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I should have learned - this is my 6th Beetle and I wanted a red convertible! Above and beyond the normal service costs, something is always going wrong and rarely is the invoice under $1,000. I average $2,500 per year in repairs! Headlights failed last year and that was $1,300 as the entire assembly needs to be replaced. I get many compliments on how nice it looks...appearance can be very expensive - make sure you have a thorough inspection before you decide to purchase.

Never ever going back again
By notlovingmybug

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I consider this car a lesson learned in poor decisions.
I purchased this car new in 2008 and have had numerous problems.
So many in fact I'm not sure I can list much less remember them all.
I will make this short (as possible) and sweet(as possible).
The passenger side window motor stopped working, the radio buttons stick, the console top has broken twice, the compressor is barely working therefore I have almost zero air conditioning and the transmission is failing.
Not to mention the car has an odd odor that I cannot get rid of.
A light continually stays on that I was told needed a computer upgrade but the dealership never seemed to have the "disc".
Too many problems to list.

Fun car to drive. The ONLY good thing I can say is I was hit from behind by a Cadillac Escalade and the car took most of the impact. My daughter and I were both very much ok and the Escalade took the impact much worse. That's it otherwise the car has been nothing but one problem after another.

realy is fun to drive!
By dave

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

nice looking really fun to drive! great acceleration fantastic breaking wonderful power top quietest convertible i have ever been in roomy and not cramped even for a 6'2" man not much room in back seat for adult (but who cares!)

best factory stereo i ever heard

bigger back window

Not what I expected
By maciosaig

2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible SE PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife and after buying an 07 Passat and being extremely satisfied with that car I figured Id be just as pleased with the bug. Was I in for a shock I've owned convs in the past so I was away of frame/body flex but this car takes it to new extremes. The handling sucks, power is poor and comfort is great for the driver and front passenger, and my small 3 year just about fits in the back seat. Now there is a rattle in the front end somewhere and the thing is noisy on the highway. For the money they charge these cars should be much more powerful and handle better. I'm not sure how the fit and finish will stand up over the next few years, but I'm not confident

The retro look and power top

Much more power, better fuel economy, better handling, better build quality, and much lower price-its built in Mexico with super low production costs there is no reason this car should cost this much. I would not recommend this car at all.