Used 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Quality Review
By carlo frazzano

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We bought the car new in 2007 and are generally satisfied. Mechanically the car has been good but build quality needs improvement except for the paint job which is the best I have ever seen. Problems we have had are: 1. Three headlight bulbs replaced. 2. Entire locking mechanism for power convertible top had to be replaced. 3. Coolant temperature switch replaced. 4. Four trunk pistons failed with the fifth now broken. 5. Seat belt retainer bezel broken off and replaced. Fuel mileage is average that is 25 around town - less if air running and about 30 mpg at 65 mph if air not running. Trunk space is inadequate and simple repair under the hood is difficult and expensive.

Good ride and handling and fun to drive with top down. Mechanically reliable.

Better build quality and trunk space.

Grrr!!
By Grrrr

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my car, especially since its paid off. But in september an ignition coil went out., Then in march 2 more went within 2 weeks of each other. Now less than 4 weeks later another one has just gone out. The only thing saving me from driving this car off a cliff, besides the repairs being covered under warranty, is the fact there is only 1 ignition coil left to go out. And VW wont replace it until it fails. I just hope it doesnt happen late at nite or when im on my way to an interview. I just dont need this aggrevation, but since I dont have a job I cant go trade this in. Hopefully the 5th coil will go out soon and I can stop worrying...

The amt of cargo room that I can pack things into and move. The gas mileage on long trips and around town. The heated seats!!!

Ignition coil reliability. Sun visor extentions. Power seats.

Sadly Disappointed
By Curie

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Having driven a classic Beetle as a teenager, this car was a major disappointment. Three months after buying the car, the fuel pump relay died leaving me stranded at 10:00 pm. Three years after buying the car, I traded it in for a 2010 Honda Fit. The lights and radio wouldn't work when it was cold. The heater wouldn't work when the car was idling. The driver's headlight had to be replaced due to "faulty wiring". Upon acceleration or deceleration, the car would often hesitate. After a snow storm, snow would often get trapped in the wheel well causing the car to shake at speeds above 40 mph. Living in Nebraska, it's important to have a reliable car.

Great standard features, fabulous looking interior, turns on a dime.

10 year warranty since the car is poorly built.

Great looking, reliable, fun to drive
By yellow bug

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

although personally i think driving is the most boring thing a person can do, i actually enjoy driving my beetle. infact, its my second new beetle- the first one being a 2004 turbo-s.

its the cutest car out there!!! i wave to all beetles i see on surface streets if i can and about half the time they wave back.

the only thing that needs improvement (which probably cannot be helped due to the perfectly cute and awesome shape of the car) is if you want to go to the club with more than one friend- you may wanna take their car. the back seats are meant for your stuff not your peeps!!

Adore it
By NewBeetleDriver

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Triple White PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I adore my New Beetle. Even though I'm a male, I get compliments from my other guy friends, especially after they've driven it. Convertible a must! The only problem I've had was the wiring harness shorted. Fortunately, the car is still under warranty, and will be back to running soon!

Transmission, styling/aesthetics, comfort, heritage

The trunk is ridiculously small. Bring back the TDI!