Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Great ride !
By Dano

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I just purchased a leased 2006 conv. beatle...pale blue/black top. I've read these discontented reviews ,but, I feel great about my bug! When I purchased it there was still a 2 year original warranty on it. I also added 2 more years, which I would recommend with any used vehicle. I can't believe it rides like a large vehicle for such a small wheel base. I did have a/c compressor go out but it was under warranty and repaired in one day. It's ice cold! rear window would not go back up. again repaired in one day NO CHARGE. folks at the dealership are very nice, friendly, and professional. Absolute fun. People often let me know they love the look.

Please note: Some have complained about the cost of oil changes. People should know that VW's oil changes are every 3 YEARS!When changing the oil it is recommended to go to a dealership.Also transmissions are all sealed. If your looking for a fun ride just BUY ONE YOU'LL LOVE IT

At this moment can't think of one, but, if something should pop-up I'll let you all know!

Volkswagen should be ashamed of themselves
By IhateVW

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased the car of my dreams an aqua blue Beetle convertible, little did I know, my dreams would turn into a nightmare. Since purchasing this car last year it has been in the shop 12 times. I did not have it in for minor repairs these were all MAJOR! New transmission, new computer system, the top broke 2 times, the heating and cooling system failed 3 times and the car overheated twice. This car a piece of junk and I would not recommend it to ANYBODY. When Volkswagen was contacted regarding these issues, I basically got a so what tough luck response. SHAME ON VOLKSWAGEN.

The car is darling.

STOP making cars that are nothing but garbage, I should've listened to other consumers when they said Volkswagen stands behind NOTHING!

Fun car....but there are issues
By kris

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 06' after a ton of research. I really love my car, it's fun to drive and i get pretty good gas mileage. I've had a TON of issues with my dealership, so don't go to Fladebo in Irvine CA. Also, my car kept overheating and my temp light kept flashing red. It took 4 days for the dealership to fix it and the entire coolant system had to be replaced (thankfully it was covered by my warranty). My top gets stuck sometimes too, and wont go all the way down. Surprisingly good trunk and passenger space. My husband is 6'2" and has lots of leg room. The car drives pretty well, but it can be really bumpy. By far one of the best convertibles for under 25K.

iPod hook up in dash, heated front seats, great sound when the top is down

Well I had enough
By lemurees

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just got rid of my brand new(when I bought it) 2006 Auto Beetle convertible and I am relieved. Powertrainwise everything was great, but I just wanted to forewarn anyone that you will have lots of small problems. And off warranty I am sure these problems will cost $$$. Let's just say an oil change was $80-120. Over a 2 year period I added that it cost me over $400 in oil changes and PM. The dealership was a rip-off and the only reason I had the oil changed there was I ALWAYS had something to have fixed, including the conv. top not coming back up. I can go on. I traded it in with a broken headlight! Anyway I bought a new car with PM included. The beetle is nice if it is not your only!

Cute. Very simple and fun to drive. Fairly good gas mileage. Easy to wash! Nice headroom. Lots of little extras and safety features. The clock and Temp. display was useful

Better quality! Bumper to bumper like 100,000 miles! Easier headlight removal!

2006 Bug Convertible
By Bill F

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Had a few problems with tail lights not working, burning out and a dashboard recall. My wife loves it but now we have a teenage daughter driving so will have to trade it off for safety reasons. I honestly don't think the quality is up to what they sell these things for. Interior is cheaply done, floor mat holders break off in the first couple months. Get the XM radio, ours did not have it. They are cute though and fun to drive and easy to park. There are some blind spots. Also in Houston with large pickup trucks, the bug is sometimes not seen. I would own this car as a 3rd car.

Top ease up and down. Great acceleration and handling. Ease to get into the back seat if needed. Interior room for adults is great.

Redesign the drink holders, they are not user friendly. Get rid of the floor mat holders, they break off way to easy, use rubber mats instead. No storage inside the car, put in a coin holder someplace.