Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Worst car i have ever owned!
By KM

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare! I bought it brand new and within 5,000 i started having problems. First, my coolant system went out and it took the dealer almost 2 weeks to fix it. I have had issues with my power windows, and both have been replaced 2x. My car spend 75 days (in a row) at the dealership due to my top not going down and getting stuck. My car has a loss of power when going over 60 mph, and vw said they "couldn't replicate the problem" but it keeps happening. Now my headlights broke and my radio randomly turns off...i can't wait to get rid of this car! I will never buy a vw again, they wont fix anything right and the dealership doesn't even call me back anymore

fun to drive

I don't even know where to start. Everything needs to be imporoved!

Good points but
By hilo2525

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Car is fun to drive. However, high cost to service and maintain from dealer. We are a multi-car household and there will no more VW's in our future.

fun to drive, lots of comments from lookers-on

car will no longer be in production for many good reasons.

Loved It! Hated It!
By HeatherO

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Aquarius Blue New Beetle with the black convertible top was my dream car so you can imagine how happy I was when I finally bought one. I had the car 3 days before the headlight went out the first time. So it went into the shop...for a total of 6 times over a two year period...for the same headlight! I also had power windows that randomly went down, alarms and lights that went off for no reason and brake lights that sometimes worked, sometimes not. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was by this car. I loved the way it looked. Loved the convertible. But VW completely let me down.

Adorable. Fun to drive especially with the top down.

Fix the headlight problems (I have heard this complaint from MANY Beetle owners). Fix the electrical system. Stand behind your vehicle and don't charge a fortune for service.

The End of a 35 Year VW Relationship
By Elenewlife

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I grew up in a VW family; everyone drove them. I've had over 15 myself. The trans was defective from day 1 and VW did nothing to help. When it broke around 10,000 they said I must be "riding the clutch". Many of these vehicles had flywheel problems; VW did nothing. Mine overheated in traffic; couldn't go on hills; shook all over and became disabled. The lights were an issue; windows and also the A/C compressor. I have always bought VW because they were reliable and VW stood behind them. Cute and responsive yet it was manufactured with a defect that VW should've recalled and replaced. They lost me permanently and should be quite ashamed of how they treated many loyal customers.

It is a super fun car to drive.

It has transmission problems across the board. Check the internet - they are all listed there. They didn't stop making them for no reason. They knew what they were doing. Trust me.

2006 New Beetle Convertible, 2.5 pkg 2
By Steve56

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife has always wanted the New Beetle convertible. So I did quite a bit of research online and read many reviews, pro and con. After many months of searching, we finally found the car my wife has been dreaming about. We've only had the car for one week. It's a really fun car to drive, especially with the top down. It handles very well on the highway and gets pretty good gas mileage. There are a couple blind spots but that's normal for most convertibles. It's the heaviest car I've ever owned. You feel like you're riding in a tank!! Overall, I would recommend this car for someone looking for a fun drive. Just watch out for all the stares you're going to get!!

Going topless; safety features; sound system; heated seats; comfortable leather; power top; fun to drive.

A wider armrest; a compartment for CD's; more power; power seats with lumbar support.