Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Just Buggin'
By lisa surdyka

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is just such a cute car and it is so fun to drive. There is not a day that goes by that someone doesn't comment on my Beetle.

The convertible top, heated seats, and how fun it is to drive.

Move the drink holders out from under the dash.

Good Car
By Aaron

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 VW Beetle is a very good car. We have had it 1.5 years and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has had no problems and we get 45 MPG highway. It is one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. We got 60,000 miles on the factory tires. The dealership was impressive also, they provide good customer service. I will buy one again.

The TDI motor, roominess, reliability, heated sests, and how easy it is to park.

The front seats are not as comfortable as the ones in the Camry that we had before this. The rear seats are small, but our kids are grown so they are not needed often.

Cute, but Little Power
By amattke

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dream car is a Porsche 911, but circumstances require that I get something else in the meantime. The bug is very cute, and will eventually move fast, but the lower gears are slow off the line. Mine has the Tiptronic automatic transmission like the Porsche, which allows shifting manually. The gear throw isn't as satisfying, but I like having the ability. It looks slow even when cruising at 80 mph, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing if there is a patrolman nearby. It is surprisingly comfortable. I smile every time I open the garage door and see it there smiling back at me - it's just charming. There is a reason that so many cartoon cars look like Beetles.

I wish that mine had the more powerful engine that is available on 2006 model. I bought mine used, so I didn't have the option.

Happy Car!
By Denise in MI

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just love my Beetle Conv. This is my second New Beetle and I will probably buy a third. The color is great, it rides great and everywhere I go it makes people smile! It's been a great summer in MI for having the top down! (wind stop purchase recommended) this car even rides great in the snow, I love the ESP feature. The first little slip and sldie and it kickes in. The 6 speed Tiptronic transmission is gonna get me in trouble! It's not the old VW, no charge cards required to scrape the frost off the windshield, it has great heat and air conditioning (People who remember the old VW know what I'm talking about.). All these new features blow people away. Once again it's a happy car, It makes people smile!

I think my favorite feature is the Tiptronic transmission. You can go from full automatic to clutchless shift just by the flick of the wrist and you are off! Watch out for the cops...it could get you a ticket! The vanity mirrors are not needed when the top is down!

The wind stop should come with the car.....after all it's a convertible. They really need to do something about cup holders, they haven't done much with that in the past six years, they are too short and hidden under the dash. They will only hold a small coffee cup.

Great little car!
By NVServ

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't regretted for an instant buying this little guy. Other than some warranty work for an airbag issue, which was dealt with painlessly on my part (including a loaner car for the month we were without his services), he has handled beautifully and been trouble free!

Great handling, compact design

Slightly better fuel mileage would be wonderful.