Used 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

"Beauty is the beginning of terror!"
By Chuck

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the most beautiful 2005 New Beetle convertible ever built. Midnight blue with beige interior. And that's the best thing I can say about the car. Nearly four years and 30,000 miles later and I can only tell you to avoid this product at all costs. If you must, lease it. Engine compartment fire, windows on the passenger side disentgrating on thir own, water pump, brakes, front struts, burned out headlights, check engine lights come on whenever they please, poor gas mileage on 93, convertible roof is moody, plastic and rubber parts fall off in the night to be found on the floor in the morning, interior peels on hot days, locks won't work on cold days, new radio, I can go on,

Always gets smiles, plenty of front seat room, Monsoon radio blasts with the top down. Standard features not found on more expensive cars. After turbo engages, car goes swish. Fun to see little kids pointing at the car and punching friends in the forearm. LOL

I bought this car on the reputation of the OLD VW. What a mistake. I bought this car with a ten year plan. Not gonna happen. Thanks to Carfax I will never be able to sell it. LOL. This car could be so much better if the quality control was there. It was a good idea, just poorly thought out.

My first VW
By Maureen

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have recentlly purchased the 2005 New Bettle converatable here in Fl and will be driving it home to Mass. I have owned BMS, Jaguars etc. I am sooo sorry I bought this VW. The warranty ran out 24 days ago, The first day i went to put the rear drivers window down it went down and never came back up. I called VW warrenty Company, they would not offer a dime for repair.Vehicle has only 14K miles.Reading the reviews there is a major window regulator problem with the plastic pieces on the regulator breaking and has been a long ongoing defect.when the class action Law Suit starts on this vehicle I will be on board. I would NEVER buy a VW again. NOW I AM AFRAID TO PUT THE WINDOWS DOWN,ALSO THE TOP

smooth ride, good gas mileage

cup holder is hard to get to, VW must start working with it's customers with ongoing defects and should be willing to recall these defects.

Bitten By My Bug
By M. Young

I love driving my bug (even put German tags on the front) - I get compliments from total strangers on it all the time...they say it suits me (I guess I look like the artist/musician I am). All was great until 9 days after my purchase (4200 mi) my check engine light came on. Repeated 13-14 times in the next two years, plus speakers rattled, seat frame on driver's side broke more than once (try driving in a bobbling seat). Rubber coating on inside door handles peeling, interior fabric liner on convertible came loose and draped over window. Thank goodness all repairs so far have been under warranty! Looking for more reliable transport now, but will miss my bug's "cute as a bug" smile. :-(

Body style, convertible, cool red and blue interior lights, tan and black interior, wind screen, great pick up and go, fog lights, love the heated seats - they are better than in my husband's Miata - careful not to burn your biscuits!

Higher quality parts, more reliable manufacturing, cup holders too far under dash and they get in the way of the mp3 input, better interior lighting.

Fahrvergnugen
By heme3

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good 2 go for a second "fun" car. Purchased used from a VW dealer, everything seems to be fine. Solid ride, little 2.0 engine runs on the cheap gas, convertible works very nicely. By far the coolest convertible you can pick up nowadays for $17K. If you want to go fast, buy something else. This car is for cruising. Almost bought the turbo version, used price is about the same, but the 1.8 turbo engine only runs on 93+ octane. Actually, the 2.0 engine seemed smoother than the 1.8 turbo with the automatic trans. 1.8 turbo with manual was best, tho. New 2.5 engine with automatic is perfect, but was out of my price range.

Factory sound system is excellent. VW sells a flashlight that fits into the cigarette lighter - get it, it's too cool.

Power top sometimes doesn't want to go all the way down. Fiddle with the button for 2 seconds and it plays ball just fine.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new. With only 22,000 miles we have already spent nearly $2,000 on repairs. As the other reviews stated; stuff just FALLS APART. Several sensors have gone bad - that was expensive enough, now the top is busted. More $$ down the drain. I will never buy another VW product.

Top down driving.

Learn from the Japanese: build a RELIABLE car and you might get repeat business.