Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Reliable Engine, Cheap Interior Finishes
By VW_Convertible

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am generally happy with the reliability of my VW engine but am disappointed with the quality of the interior fittings. The Front Power Window mechanism (was faulty) broke several times when the car was nearly new and had to be replaced with re- designed motors and chains (very expensive if car is out of warranty) The rear power window mechanism breaks often and is expensive to repair.....The Car overall is beautifully designed and finished on the outside, has very comfortable front seats, and has a quiet, smooth, stable ride with a well appointed dashboard and easy-to use controls. Automatic transmission started to jerk & stick at slow speeeds > 75,000 miles...Keys cost > 350$ to replace

The beautiful classic, curvaceous Beetle profile and high quality exterior paint finish. In addition to the engine, The AC is good, cold and reliable.

Manual crank windows should be available, and a regular, simple, re- buildable automatic transmission should be available instead of the Tiptronic auto-manual transmission which costs 6,000$ to replace!

Mixed Bag
By TurboS04

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is used for work purposes, and is covered in advertising. While I was nervous to purchase based on review it has turned out to be an okay car. I've had issues with airbag and check engine lights but there is a ton of information on the internet to help out with those issues. The car is fast and fun to drive, and has a lot of nice features for the cost. Luckily, knock on wood, my issues have been small and hoping for a few more years of reliability.

Sport seats are great, along with fantastic aircon, stereo system and heated seats! (You could fry an egg on them!)

Better reliability, and less rattles. Otherwise, so far, so good!

love bug
By shirin

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my beetle, and would keep it for the rest of my life. It has never given me any problems. I can rely on it to be my best freind and never has let me down. I did not have to spend a Penny on it so far... Never had any problems specially with Windows or airbag or others mentioned by other reviews.

love it all, specially its shape

keep on making them for ever

Hate This Bug: Buyer Beware
By ekl

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the car I always wanted. Although parts of the first two years of ownership were fun, overall this is the worst purchase I have ever made. I will NEVER buy another Volkswagen! I've owned this car for 4 1/2 years. In the last year, my bug has been towed into the dealership 3 times because it will not start, and I've shelled out $3,000 in repairs. I've had the seat handles replaced multiple times, the trunk will not open on the first try, the headlights short out constantly, etc. To date, I've had the following replaced: throttle body ($800), front airbag sensor ($450), alternator ($500), windshield ($350), front grill ($500). I know the bug is very cute, but don't buy this car!

Bright green color, sun roof, heated cloth seats

Handles on front seats that do not break constantly, better designed front grill (breaks very easily), trunk that opens on the first try, seats that recline easily.

2004 convertible vw
By cheryl gillespie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the design of this car, but have had many problems. Interior beige leather seats impossible to clean. Stained within the first 2 weeks by a leather belt. Seat retractor broke 5 times. Airbag problems on three different ocacasions. Last one took 2 wks to fix. Car sits way too close to the ground. Damaged mine just going up a gravel driveway. Almost 7,000 for new transmission.