Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

First car!
By Hadley

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since having this car, I have had it for two years now, I have really liked it. It was my first car. It took me a while to find the car that I did and I'm glad I found it because it is in good condition. If you find one that works well and drives good then I think it's a great car but if you find one that has a lot of problems and doesnt seem to fit the price then I recommend staying away from it.

Stay Away!!
By Liz

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WORST car to own! I have had it for 3 months and it has given me more problems than any other car i have ever owned! It is not worth your time and MONEY! omg. So many electrical problems and the inside is just falling apart! Don't let the cuteness fool you! Lesson learned here!!!!

A MISTAKE
By Rikky Huskanovic

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First got this car when it was around 80k miles, and it was super cute and super fun for a few days until I noticed that something was wrong half the time when you tried to accelerate. However, it lasted me a few months- all while check engine turned on, it didn't acknowledge gears, etc- until it left me on the side of the highway with the engine and everything inside fried. We got it "fixed" and looked at so many times until it literally just died. No one wanted to even look at it, and the one mechanic that was willing said that all hope was lost. No reliability, no durability, doesn't seem to run over 5000 miles. You will be throwing your money away if you buy it.

It looked really cute, that was about it.

to "improve" means to fix up something that is already decent. I don't know how anyone allowed this to ever become a car. It was probably a plot to scam people out of a lot of money.

Fun in the Sun!
By qtbugg

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love my bug! My husband purchased this used vehicle for my college graduation eight years ago and we have put very little money into her. Runs great, ok gas mileage, consider it's Turbo not diesel. As she's starting to age she's not as quiet as a new ride, but do not look to replace her. In fact looking to change her paint job, red to hot pink.

Worst Car
By lvazquez1watcx

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car on June 2011. it had less than 90, 000 miles on it. few months after i bought it, the flap panels broke, headliner started falling apart and the inside began to deteriorate. when it hit 100,000 miles the transmission started acting up, the valve body ended up need replaced. the headlights and anything electrical really is always acting up. i got this car at the VW dealership and thought i was getting a good deal on it, but not even 2 years later and i have already put thousands of dollars into its repairs. I am a nursing student and this is probably the least reliable car you could own. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, but never received a response.

convertible top.

better quality materials, better customer service.