Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Like to Worry About What Will Break Next
By Not happy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My VW Beetle's air bag sensors keep breaking, making them inoperable. I have had this problem repaired twice, the automatic top repaired three times, window regulators, clamps and motor repaired for a total of four times, and seat release replaced twice. The radio hisses, never fixed as it is a "design flaw." All of the windows rattle so badly the car sounds like it is falling apart at times, never fixed "design flaw."

The exterior retro design is what made me buy the car, but it is so unreliable that it is not fun to drive.

Volkswagen need to seriously improve their build quality before I would ever consider buying another one. If you enjoy visiting the dealership for repairs, this is the car for you.

Beware of Electrical Problems
By Kristen

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even though this car is absolutely darling, it has had numberous electrical problems. I have had my car in about five times for electrical problems. Windows unaligned causing rain to come in, not going back up or down, radio stays on when key is removed door shut and locked, air bag light on, coolant light on, tail lights going out several times and the dealership just does not care about it at all. I am trading it in and going back to Toyota. I will miss my little bug but it's unreliable. Good thing I don't work, I would be fired for the times I have been without a car and unable to go anywhere. I am afraid to take it on a road trip. Purchase a Toyota or Honda.

Convertible, cuteness, comfort and such a blast to drive. Children just love to look at it, everyone smiles at me when I am driving around in it. It really is the cutest little thing.

The trunk is hard to close, cup holders are too short and in the wrong spot. VW needs to work on their customer service. They do not care at all about their customers. Remember, it is the customers that keep you in business and we have many automakers to choose from.

Not Particularly Happy
By chris love

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Today I sit in the service department for approximately the 10th time in 2 years for yet another repair that has nothing to do with regularly scheduled maintenance. I purchased a new car to avoid this type of situation. It's a cutie, but it has ultimately been a disappointment as far as quality, especially electrical components. I am trading it in for a more boring but infinitely more reliable Japanese model after today. If you have a lot of time on your hands to spend in service dept waiting rooms this is the car for you! good luck...you've been warned!

Big mistake
By Bluesunbug

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used. It was Clean on Carfax and had only 6,700 miles on it. I have only had it month and a half. It has been back for repairs 4 times. The window stopped going up and the convertible top would jam. Also, it has starting squeeking and rattling so much it drives you nuts. VW service is the worst. They take forever to get you your car back and then most times have not fixed it properly. I am fed up already thinking of bailing. I had a 99 Isuzu Amigo that ran 10x better and never a problem. I should have learned about German cars from our nightmare BMW 740i.

Cute factor, handles well, when I have gotten to drive it.

The cupholders are a joke. I can't put in an in-dash CD player. Not real problem with ipod. Really noisy. Bad quality.

Blast from the past
By Kathi

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have only owned 1 previous VW. It was in 1968. I wanted a new one every since I saw the new design. They just keep getting better. The gas isn't what it use to be, but the quality out weighs that. What a pleasure to have this automobile. Driving it is so much fun. The only thing that I didn't get when I bought it was the wind stopper. Other then that I wouldn't have any other car. I picked the black over the silver convertible because it seemed so rich looking. It is everything I ever could have imagined. I love this car!

The convertible of course. Next would be the steering. This little bug just hugs the corners so well it is incredible.

None that I can think of at this time.