Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Is it a Lemon?
By Chel

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with only 20,000 miles on it. My first car was the old VW, and ever since they came out with the new models I always wanted one. In the 13,000 miles I have put on it in one year, I have taken it to the shop 10 times. The manufacturers warranty has now run out (not due to mileage, but to age) and now I have to use the extended warranty I purchased from Carmax. But they don't know how to fix VW's so I must pay extra to take it to a dealer! (I was never informed of this!) I have had electrical problems with the windows, top problems where it wouldn't go up or come down at times, overheating problems (3 times!), now I am finished! I am trading in this car tomorrow!

Looks great when it runs, it is a fun car.

Fix the problems! When I bought this car, I had every intention of keeping it until it died on me. I had no idea it was dead when I bought it! I will never buy another VW!

Love that Car!
By Phyllida

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love it so much that I do not want to trade it in for a 2007, although I probably shall. With every New Beetle there is usually one problem. For the 2000 model, it was the parking gear, which was somehow attached via computer chip to the brake light and the cruise control. For the 2003 model, it was the alternator and the heater. The car handles so beautifully on the road that these are mere annoyances!

The black leather seats that heat up in the winter and the moonroof. These are a few of my favorite things!

Continue making the Beetle in Lagoon Blue with black leather seats (The Laser blue is not nearly as pretty and the seats are grey). I have to settle for Salsa Red (looks like a big tomato!)

Too Cute Not to Love!
By R. P.

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the New Beetle when they first came out and I have wanted one ever since. Owning one has been a dream come true! I love my Bug!

I would have to be typical and say the convertible top. But I also like the sound system.

My only real complaint is the gas mileage. But from what I have heard, the newer models are more fuel efficient.

Still Paying for Itself
By driven

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This TDI was purchased with the intent of commuting. It returned 47 mpg the first two years of ownership but just 43 mpg since a new set of tires was put on at 60,000 miles. It starts right up in cold weather (as low as -8 F), handles well, and has more than enough power. The car is comfortable and has been dependable to date other than the repeated replacement of headlights (three in 65,000 miles). The interior has held up well despite the miles and three kids. I bought it as a leftover for $16,600 and it has proven to be very reliable. My uncle owns an auto 2002 TDI and gets 42 mpg. Mine is the 5-speed stick. I am looking for a second one for my teenage daughter.

The great gas mileage, style, and practicality.

The cup holders are poorly designed. The rear seats should fold flat to horizontal.

Fastest Bug Ever Made (STOCK)
By captbill

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is one of the most fun, sportiest, fastest little speed demons on the road today. It is 6 speeds of pure driving pleasure. Mine has every option that you could have on a little machine from heated leather seats to heated mirrors. This machine rocks! I LOVE IT! Volkswagen outdone themselves on this little baby. The way every window and sunroof closes at 85 to keep you safe and aerodynamic is amazing.

The heated seats, heated mirrors, cruise, 6 disc changer and tape deck, front and rear fog lights, sunroof, 6-speed, automatic wing, plus a lot more!

Make the fuel economy a little better! Add an in dash CD changer.