Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Too many repairs!
By lvnlyf

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm upset about the repairs I've had to have done. First the door handle, then the windows, then the convertible top, then another window. The list goes on. The interior is not impressive either. The door handles' plastic coating wore through. The cigarette lighter pop out (I don't smoke) won't shut properly. They said they just glue them shut (!). It looks great from afar, but the quality isn't there. But what really makes me mad is the $$ it has cost me to repair all the stuff. Dont buy one! No matter how fun it is to drive or how cute it looks with the top down, you might be looking at a lemon.

The way the convertible top goes up and down is nifty. But when it costs over a thousand to repair it (mine won't go down anymore), I have mixed emotions.

Put some quality back in the workmanship! The interior could be nicer and better made for the price.

2003 Volkswagen GLX Turbo Coupe (Betty)
By Stephanie

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car when a car of ours was stolen. It has been a really fun and reliable form of transportation. We are planning on keeping it in the family, since it has been so reliable. I would recommend this car and would make the same purchase again.

5 speed turbo, CD player and sunroof

Cup holders are a bit weird

Reliable and Fun
By kayjay75

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I bought it new and have never had any problems. It's fun to drive, is a rare model, and overall takes good care of me. I've driven Japanese cars before but found them to be boring and average. This car has more personality than 100 Japanese cars combined. It's definitely not for everybody but if you truly enjoy driving then a Volkswagen is undoubtedly an excellent choice. I plan to hold onto this car forever. Happy driving!

Personality, performance, styling, sophisticated engineering, and all the features that come standard.

Make another Turbo-S!

I luv my V-Dub!
By Elaine Fabs

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been driving my Turbo charged, lagoon blue VW Beetle for 2 and 1/2 months now and I just love it! I have great power and stunning looks. It's so much fun to drive. I have not had a single problem with it. Gotta luv the bug!

Rear pop-up spoiler; rare lagoon blue exterior color; leather heated seats; red and blue lit dash.

Adorable Car with Way Too Many Issues
By LS

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fell in love with this car and bought it new. Within the first three months, I think it was in the shop about 4 times. Since then, particularly during summer months, it's in the shop on average about once every 6 weeks. Have had problems with the windows, the speakers, the battery (twice), the roof has broken countless times, the wiring on the tail lights, the airbag sensors, the blinker - and the door, which still isn't fixed. Also, the service at my dealership is terrible. They once replaced the wrong airbag so the sensor came back on a couple days later. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMEND this car. They take no accountability and I will never purchase another VW, no matter how cute.

It's very cute.

Where to begin? Start by working out the glitches before they put a car on the market. Adequately staff dealer service dept. Spend less $ on marketing and more on building a better product. I'm so done with this car and ready to trade it in.