Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Great car, horrible top
By Todd

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I'm a BIG guy and I have all of the comfort of my Chrysler 300. The only issue I've had is with the convertible top. I've had it in 4 times because some cables in the raising and lowering mechanism come off track and get caught up in the whole works and it screws up the top liner. It seems to be fixed, but now it happened to the other side and it pulled more cables loose, part of the interior molding and broke some other pieces that are down inside. I've only had the car for 9 months and have only been putting the top down for 3 of them. It only had 24,000 miles when I got it!

Roomy, stylish, fun to drive, great stereo, comfortable.

Just fix the top.

Too many repairs!
By lvnlyf

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm upset about the repairs I've had to have done. First the door handle, then the windows, then the convertible top, then another window. The list goes on. The interior is not impressive either. The door handles' plastic coating wore through. The cigarette lighter pop out (I don't smoke) won't shut properly. They said they just glue them shut (!). It looks great from afar, but the quality isn't there. But what really makes me mad is the $$ it has cost me to repair all the stuff. Dont buy one! No matter how fun it is to drive or how cute it looks with the top down, you might be looking at a lemon.

The way the convertible top goes up and down is nifty. But when it costs over a thousand to repair it (mine won't go down anymore), I have mixed emotions.

Put some quality back in the workmanship! The interior could be nicer and better made for the price.

2003 Volkswagen GLX Turbo Coupe (Betty)
By Stephanie

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car when a car of ours was stolen. It has been a really fun and reliable form of transportation. We are planning on keeping it in the family, since it has been so reliable. I would recommend this car and would make the same purchase again.

5 speed turbo, CD player and sunroof

Cup holders are a bit weird

Reliable and Fun
By kayjay75

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the best car I've ever owned. I bought it new and have never had any problems. It's fun to drive, is a rare model, and overall takes good care of me. I've driven Japanese cars before but found them to be boring and average. This car has more personality than 100 Japanese cars combined. It's definitely not for everybody but if you truly enjoy driving then a Volkswagen is undoubtedly an excellent choice. I plan to hold onto this car forever. Happy driving!

Personality, performance, styling, sophisticated engineering, and all the features that come standard.

Make another Turbo-S!

I luv my V-Dub!
By Elaine Fabs

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been driving my Turbo charged, lagoon blue VW Beetle for 2 and 1/2 months now and I just love it! I have great power and stunning looks. It's so much fun to drive. I have not had a single problem with it. Gotta luv the bug!

Rear pop-up spoiler; rare lagoon blue exterior color; leather heated seats; red and blue lit dash.