Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

6 years of Reliability
By Karlos

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is one of the best and most reliable car I have ever owned. Special Ordered before the big gas crisis. I can count on my hand how many times this car has been to the dealer for unscheduled service. First 100 miles the waterpump failed and was replaced without any hassles. Second time was due to the city of Chicago not posting any hazard warning for street work, destroying the bottom oil pan at 40,000 miles. The other times for regular wear and tear over the span of time.You will not be disappointed.

Firstly the fact that it's a TDI, you save lots of $$$. The heated seats are help cold morning starts.Average mileage ranges from a frugal 58 mpg to mad gas stomping and fast driving 38 mpg.

Firstly the radio casette player, it needs a cd player, why Vw in 2003. Next the am amplified antenna failed, I listen to alot of am radio,the reception is non-existent.Daytime running lights on my 3rd set. Lastly the window regulator is failing after 84000 miles.Hence the 9 on build

Worst car I've ever owned
By Glenn Acheson

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the worst car I've ever owned. The transmission shifts hard when its warm - dealer says that's normal. When shifting from Reverse to Drive or vice versa, you have to wait several seconds for it to engage. Replacing the battery was a royal pain, not to mention expensive. Replacing one of the front headlights was even worse. Now one of the front lenses has fallen off... The front left turn signal fell out of place from some clip that's broken. Now the check engine light is on - who knows how much THAT's going to cost. Performance is wretched, even for a 4 cyl. Mileage is only 25 mpg hwy. My 6 cyl 2000 Taurus gets 28!!!

none

Power train Interior (sun visors that actually work???) Quality of design and product...

lemon beetle
By verna portugues

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have spent over $8,000 trying to get my beetle to stop jerking without avail. Now I have to spend another 6,000 to replace the transmission. And I still owe on the car. the beetle is a pretty car but not worth the hassle.

At this time none

better transmission

Coil Packs, Coil Packs, Coil Packs.
By Dozier450

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this 2003 Beetle with 39k on 12-31-08 for daughter. I've had to replace three coil packs, the 4th was already replaced when the car was purchased. VW had a problem with issue, but told me this car was not covered under the recall back during 2003. I was also told that I could take this car to the dealer and pay $100.00 to get the codes read and if I keep the receipts and if they ever do recall this issue, then I could send in for a refund. I decided to use the $100.00 code fee and purchase new coil packs. I did buy a code scanner off of eBay for less than $30.00, it reads and clears the Check Engine Light after you make the repair. This car has the 1.8T engine.

Looks good, handles great when running like it's supposed to.

Replace all 4 coils when the first one goes out. They cost $44.77 each at the dealer and can be purchased online for about $25.00 each, if you can wait a couple of days for the shipping. By the way, did I tell you that this car only has 39K on it.

Dead at 66.000 Miles!
By Rick

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my Beetle for 4 years in 2003. It was in the shop 6 times the first year! Now at 66,000 miles the engine has lost all compression. My local mechanic could not find a reason so I had it towed to the VW dealership to see if they could tell me what happened. They did not have a clue, but said the engine is definitely dead. I had the oil changed every 4000 miles. The power train warranty expired at 60,000 miles (before 2003 it was a 100,00 mile warranty. I am through with VW's! (oh yes, and I still owe money on this pile of junk)

Love the style, and handling of the car

build a better car!