Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 207 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Over Powered Go Cart
By johnrushing

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my Turbo S for almost 6 years and have loved every minute of it.
I love the power the little 1.8t makes and how smooth the power comes on. I left mine stock up until last year and then started modifying it. I love the look on Mustang drivers when a little beetle pulls ahead of them.
The handling is great, like it's on rails, and the fuel economy is good.
Before modifying the engine I got my best mpg of 32 mpg by driving no faster than 65mph and not doing any jack rabbit starts.
With the mods I am still getting 29mpg.
I plan on keeping the beetle and seeing exactly what type of performance the 1.8t has in it, have seen a few putting out over 350hp and still very drivable.

The smoothness of the engine, the crisp sure shiftsof the 6 speed. The way the car handles like it's on rails. How cheap it is to work on.

Better plastic on the interior trim. Some cup holders that are actually usable.

Poor build quality and transmission lets it down
By ricochet65

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

2003 Convertible, lightly driven with 43000 miles.
Transmission failed, due to what now appears to be a known problem with the "valve body". VW support extremely poor. This car looks nice but has been nothing but trouble: windows do not work correctly, have been fixed twice, roof gets stuck and VW fitter wanted $1500 to repair (it took me 10 minutes to snap the loose clip back on and cost nothing - so much for service. Everything is a hassle to repair - battery is over $200, bulbs cannot be replaced easily, airbag light cost $250 to temporarily repair. If you want the beetle style spend the money on a restored air cooled one, from when VW knew how to make serviceable vehicles!

Retro look

Listen to customers and offer a decent repair and warranty service.

BEETLE A GOOD CAR
By KELLY

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

BOUGHT AN 03 BEETLE AND PUT SOME MONEY INTO IT AFTER A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM AND IT HAS BEEN AN EXCELLENT CAR. i HAVE PUT SO MANY MILES ON THE CAR, THAT I WAS AMAZED THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO PUT AS MUCH MONEY AS AN AMERICAN CAR. IT IS DOWN TO THE WIRE AND I AM GETTING READY TO GET A NEW CAR AND THE BEETLE WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE BEST CARS EVER MADE. tHE vw HAS SOME QUIRKS BUT I NEVER DROVE A CAR THAT DID NOT. tHE GERMAN TECH IS amazing!!! THE CAR LOOKS BRAND new ON THE OUTSIDE AND I HAVE BEEN GIVEN OFFERS TO SELL THE CAR BECUASE OF THE UP KEEP. VOLKSWAGON IS NO LONGER MAKING THEM AND I DOUBT THE BEETLE WILL RETURN SO I THINK A BEETLE IS BEST AS A SECOND CAR . I AM SAD BUT READY FOR NEW!

SALSA RED... VERY FUN

NONE..I NEVER DROVE THE PERFECT CAR NOR NEVER WILL

I love my convertible
By CK

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Looking for a fun car that's sure to get people's heads turning? The Volkswagen new beetle convertible is it! This is the best car I've ever owned. It is reliable, sturdy, gets great gas mileage. I've had no problems with it. I would highly recommend this car! If you're thinking you see a bunch of bad reviews--try it for yourself, it may surprise you with how great it is. That's what I did, and it was the best choice. Good job Volkswagen!

Four window roll down, safety features, leather seats, trip tonic transmission, easy to put down convertible top, no blind spots, nice glove box

I wish I could take out the floor mats to clean them, no change storage

Never again
By twilliams

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car w/only 17,000 miles-1 owner. Brakes/front needed new w/rotors @ 37,000 miles. R/brakes w/rotors @ 58,000. R/hatch takes 2-3 hits to release. Have had 4 low beam bulbs burn out! Dealer charges $$$ 2 replace. Check engine light on, thermostat eng. Temp light on yet nothing wrong at all. Interior continues to fall apart- radio presets, visor clip, hand brake knob, dash vent close knob, tilt/tele. Rubber knob loose, glove comp. Latch ready to fall apart anytime now. Will never buy a Volkswagen again no matter what model. Have a few months to pay off, then selling it before it fails me for good. I maintain my cars well & drive them easy. Worst car ever owned- period.

steering on highway has great feel. brakes good too yet wear out quickly for a light car.

I don't think building in Mexico is the problem. It's Volkswagen. poor materials, shoddy engineering, and lack of quality overall.