Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

German Engineering?
By julse520

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this as my first car thinking I was being smart by buying something with good fuel econemy and reliability. I love to drive the car when it's working properly.For the first two months or so, she provided me with all of that until one day, during rush hour traffic, the car lost ALL power completely. After that, car SLAMS into gear. Now, the car likes to do that randomly in awful places. The turbo lag on a hot day is ridiculous. I feel like I'm going to be killed sometime soon. And also, all the plastic finishes in the interior break.
Car is made extremely cheep. Oh yea, german engineering? It's made in MEXICO if that explains the awesome reliability haha

My leather is beautiful blue matching the exterior color of the car. Turbo is awesome when it's not lagging. And also, you'll probably never get pulled over because really? What cop is suspicious of a bug?

The cup holders are in an awful place. Can't even fit a big gulp! If you're going to make a tiny econemy car, at least make it with fuel econemy over 25 mpg. My moms SUV does better than my car!

Spend your money elsewhere
By julianna33

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

From my experience with VW my car and others they are junk. They all break easily. I have had to repair so many things a 1K a pop 5 times at least. Not including maintenance things. The design so compact requires many hours of labor to remove and replace to get to certain things. Plus the headlight lens falls off and cost ALOT of money to replace which i have done twice now at $400 each lens assembly and its falling off again! Just a crappy car. My sister has a golf the transmission and engine are going. Other family members have toyota and honda and hey i have never seen a repair as stupid or as costly or as often as VW repairs are. Junkie cars and they say German engineering is the best HA

Shape and cuteness of car

This car needs so much help, terrible parts and exspensive

disposable car
By ruizd

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2003 convertible beetle with 60k. one week after driving it i notice a hard shift, a few days after an oil leak was noticed. I took it a Volkswagen dealer and they did a diagnostic and confirmed what I told them, suggested that I do a transmission fluid check and it could fix the problem I said BS. I had read all the complaints about this car and my mechanic also told me that I should have never bought it, he pointed out the the transmission could not be serviced and all of the hoses are made of plastic that with heat they become brittle and break.. so I took my loss and bought a Honda accord. don't buy this car is disposable. I would never buy a volkswagen again..

convertible, stereo sound and cd changer

transmissions, aftermarket parts. and stop with the plastic hoses near the engine they break.

Over Powered Go Cart
By johnrushing

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my Turbo S for almost 6 years and have loved every minute of it.
I love the power the little 1.8t makes and how smooth the power comes on. I left mine stock up until last year and then started modifying it. I love the look on Mustang drivers when a little beetle pulls ahead of them.
The handling is great, like it's on rails, and the fuel economy is good.
Before modifying the engine I got my best mpg of 32 mpg by driving no faster than 65mph and not doing any jack rabbit starts.
With the mods I am still getting 29mpg.
I plan on keeping the beetle and seeing exactly what type of performance the 1.8t has in it, have seen a few putting out over 350hp and still very drivable.

The smoothness of the engine, the crisp sure shiftsof the 6 speed. The way the car handles like it's on rails. How cheap it is to work on.

Better plastic on the interior trim. Some cup holders that are actually usable.

Poor build quality and transmission lets it down
By ricochet65

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

2003 Convertible, lightly driven with 43000 miles.
Transmission failed, due to what now appears to be a known problem with the "valve body". VW support extremely poor. This car looks nice but has been nothing but trouble: windows do not work correctly, have been fixed twice, roof gets stuck and VW fitter wanted $1500 to repair (it took me 10 minutes to snap the loose clip back on and cost nothing - so much for service. Everything is a hassle to repair - battery is over $200, bulbs cannot be replaced easily, airbag light cost $250 to temporarily repair. If you want the beetle style spend the money on a restored air cooled one, from when VW knew how to make serviceable vehicles!

Retro look

Listen to customers and offer a decent repair and warranty service.