Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Don't Ever Buy this car
By Priscilla

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my beetle for three years and will get rid of it in 3 months. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. My beetle has been in the shop more times than I can count on both my hands. I only have 35000 miles on it and it is three years old. The cup holders are the worst design. It is almost impossible to put your drink in the holer without spilling your drink. The visors are worthless, I can never get the sun out my eyes. If you get this car make sure to get the warranty because you will need it.

It is good looking on the outside.

New cupholder design, realistic visors, improve engine from loose bolts and screws!

I know others complain about VW but...
By eli1172

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Beetle! I have had no complaints in the 4 years I have owned this car. It is so much fun to drive, and feels like a more expensive car. My husband is trying to talk me into a new one, but it is so hard to find something of equal cost with the same features. The only concern: the transmission is sealed and the fluid can't be changed. They say it's lifetime fluid, but I don't buy it. If not for that, I would drive this baby till the wheels fell off!

Cool design, great handling and ride, superb stereo. Just a joy to drive in the city or on the road.

My Dream Car
By Scott

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Bug for about a month and I absolutley LOVE it! I have wanted one of these cars forever! It has an excellent ride and features. During my first of week of ownership, I had the check engine light come on though. The dealer said it was the spark plugs, no biggie. This car's German engineering is amazing. It handles sooooooo well, that you can hardly feel the corners! What a fantastic car. Volkswagen has made me a customer for life!

The heated seats, self-diming rearview mirror, switchblade key, red and blue instrumentation, radio, rolling down/up windows with the key, the turbo engine, and rain sensing wipers. Practically everything is my favorite!

I wish the cup holders were not under the radio console. It constricts the size of drink you can bring in the car.

Beetle Turbo S
By captgw2

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Beetle Turbo S for my girlfriend to drive. This replaced a 92 Taurus, so there was no where to go but up! It's been a good car, but has required several trips back to the dealer for warranty issues (emblems peeling, trim falling off, floormat anchors). It's fun to drive and I'd buy another as long as it had a warranty in effect.

I like the 1.8 Turbo engine with increased hp, awesome sound system, and comfortable leather front seats.

Improve the noisy spoiler, give it better seating in rear, and add a standard CD player / changer.

2002 Volkswagen Beetle
By dumb buyer

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have never bought a new car that had so many problems in such a short mileage life, the window fell out in the first month it was purchased. The brake lights went next, then the a/c, it had a hesitation from day one on take off and after 2.5 years the mass air finally failed, there are no turn signals on the dash gauges [intermittant]. The latest is the dealer said the fuel pump failed and they won't replace it because it had bad gas. They want $600+ to fix it and the car is under warranty. I'm a mechanic and I have never seen a electric fuel pump fail because of so called bad fuel, a defective part yes. I got a different VW dealer to agree to repair it.