Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Forever in Love or a Great Fit
By B. Donaldson

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new Beetle, I bought one previously in 1973, I had it for fourteen years. When the new Beetle came out I was floored. I was totally, decidedly, definetely in love again. I drive about three hours a day both ways, I'm comfortable. Setting the seat to fit is extremely easy, it still fits me perfectly. The front window is wide, and my other half, who is 6'2", drives it and he's able to set the seat to fit him width and leg length, he had to admit, it had more room then he imagined. The seats are awesome comfortable especially with the built in lumbar back. I'd recommend the new Beetle to any and everyone, thanks for a great ride.

I like the wide windows, lumbar back cushion in each seat, ability to move seat up and down with ease, handling capability on curves and how it knows when to slow up and ease into a speed up. It's tight and has no outside noise. Last but not least, the flower holder is a great touch. Herbie would be proud.

The only thing i'd like to be able to do is bring it into a VW dealer and have a professional color change, without destroying the original finish.

And I thought it would be nice
By Jennifer

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car and initially loved it! That is until two weeks later my ENTIRE computer system went out. No radio, no odometer, nothing. I took it to the dealership they fixed it. Maybe three months after that my windows started to break. They wouldn't roll back up. So once I again I took it to the dealership and they fixed it. Then the computer system went out again. This time I had no alarm and no DOOR LOCKS! Talk about needing to get it rushed in. Nope, I had to wait two weeks to get it fixed. My last problem was the radio. It went into safe mode and the passenger seat belt wouldn't fasten. Sure they fixed it, but it sure is a hassle to get to a dealership and just leave your car for two days. Overall this is a poor quality car.

I love the speed. It really gets up and goes. I also love my heated seats and sunroof and the functioning spoiler.

Besides better quality, better cupholders, better dealer service, and speedier service. I don't think I'll ever own a Volkswagen again. I'm in the market for a new car now and the Cadillac CTS is looking nice.

Would Never Own Another VW
By Sgam

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had too many problems with my VW Bug to name. The EPC light is always going on and off. It doesn't start in the morning, unless if you take 10 minutes to jiggle the key back and forth in the ignition. The passenger side window has never functioned properly. I have had the car towed into my dealer several times, and they don't do anything but tell me that there's nothing wrong, or why don't you pay $200 for new spark plugs, we're sure that this will take care of the problem, then the problem comes back. Bottom line they are bad cars and VW does not take care of their custumers. I will never own another VW.

The flower holder - it is the only thing that did not break.

Correct the faulty electrical system. Make windows so that they actually roll up on the first try, not the 20th. Develop better customer care, if a customer has a problem fix it, get to the bottom of and guarantee your work, not just when your warranty runs out were done, if there's a problem fix it.

Bug of my Heart
By briansfreehold

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 1997 Kia Spotage for my cyberpunk green 2002 Bug and have had almost nothing but great luck with it. Of course after 30.000 miles any car will have some problems, like the plastic PVC around the bottom of the engine came apart as I was driving it on the freeway, and there is some hesatation with the automatic transmisstion (which was taken care of by the warranty). I stil just love this car. It may not be as cheap to fix and run as the old VW bugs but what is? Of course, the gas milage is sorly laking from what they said it was on the sticker. I get 23 mpg on the freeway. Bottom line, it still kicks butt over most of the other jelly bean looking cars that are on our roads now (BORING).

I like how it has cigarette adapters in three places, great bumpers, headrests, ample seating in front, easy access to the rear, good get up and go, and a great horn!

As with others, the cup holders need to be changed, raise the hight off the ground a bit, and give it better gas mileage.

My former dream car
By Scott

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I wrote a review titled "my dream car" about a month and a half ago. Ignore it! I sold this vehicle last week because of the multitude of problems. I had it in the shop 17 times in 10 weeks. You read that right, 17 times in 10 weeks. I litterly had the car 4 days a week because the dealer had it the rest of the time. I am now $1,162.16 in debt just from fixing the car and I am 19 years old. It was my worst nightmare. I replaced 2 ignition coils, the alignment went out 3 times, spark plugs, window cables, oil changes, O2 sensors that "a squirrel ate" through. Oh and VW did not cover it because it was not a defect in the car. Just for the sensor it was $320.00!

Well when I had the vehicle in my possesion, I liked the Turbo. At the end of my ownership, I hated everything about it and I hated driving it!

To any one who thinks about buing this car, DONT!!! I was naive and bought this car believing that all of the reviews I read were all nonsense. I felt like moving into the car dealer since I was there so much! VW, stand behind your products and put your money wear your mouth is!