Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

obvious VW cheaped out on lots of things
By indy photog

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

When it works, it's great. Problem is, there are always small things going wrong. Car is well cared for with regular Mx as per the service manual. Electrical issues have been the worst...no history of flood damage or anything similar. Have been through three brake lights and two crunched driver side windows (all pre recall of course, good luck getting $ back from VW). Wheel bearing replaced, airbag light permanently on, trunk latch issues, and now...the car won't reverse. All sorts of other little annoying things too numerous to mention.

handles well, automatic trans in the diesel knocks mileage down to mid 30's with mixed city/hwy driving, but still not bad.

charge another 1K for the car and put quality parts and workmanship into it instead of ruining your rep for quality for a few extra percent profit.

not for short trips
By Marla

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased a diesel specifically so I could run it on biodiesel made from used cooking oil. I was in touch with a good source for an unlimited supply of bio and not sending money overseas to people who don't like America so I was happy until...I had a $2,000 bill to clean the engine due to it being "carboned up". It basically stopped running because it was clogged up with carbon. My driving needs and style are mainly to blame since I take short trips, many not on the highway so the engine doesn't get to warm up and clean out. If I were still commuting 100 miles per day this would be a perfect vehicle but not for the driving I'm doing now. It got 40 MPG and smelled great running bio.

It is comfortable and fun to drive. The backseat folds down to make a good sized cargo area.

The roof comes so far forward or down that at traffic lights I sometimes have to bend down to see the light if I'm first in line.

I will not own another volkswagen
By bhill

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had nothing but problems with my car since I have had it. Since 05 I have had to have the transmission replaced and some kind of sensor replace because it wouldn't come out of park. (that was the only two things that was under warranty) then the timing belt broke which bent the valves in the head so I had to replace them the turbo went out water pump sensor the timing belt again oh and the sun roof leaked when i first got it. And I have had to replace the headlights several times. And my current problems are the brake lights, blinkers and it doesn't want to come out of park again and an oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. And by the way, it is hard to find anyone to work on them.

I like my yellow rims and my seat warmers and my yellow and black interior that is about all I like about the lemon.

Many many improvements need to be made. I thought maybe I just got a bad one but everyone I talk to says they have problems with theirs.

238000 miles
By Rose

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

To all the skeptics: sit down and read this! 238,000 miles on my TDI Beetle. No major engine issues. Serviced regularly: oil change every 6k; 20k/40k's; 60k's timing belt. Tire rotation every 5-8k on the best Mich. Destiny's. 3 complaints: seats are not made for comfort, what's up with the head light lenses falling out:replaced 5 times and rear seat is not for passengers with legs. Had to put her to rest this week. A ford driver with bald tires had a blow out on the mountain, swerved to miss her, slammed into guard rail. Saved a life, yet totaled my new beetle. Gonna miss her. If you have in-laws or pals that say you should sell your TDI...DON'T LISTEN!..There just jealous of your mpg!

VaVaVoom! No slug bugs here folks. TDI rules! Eat my fumes as I blow by you. If you wanna race, you'll lose... sorry if you bought a gas engine, you're cute and all but have the fuel economy of the average American car... long live the TDI! Love the cargo space when you remove the rear seat! WOW!

Improve the adhesiveness of your head lamp gasket and it may not fall out! Seriously, recall that item already. Redesign on the headlamp is needed.

it's mediocre
By slb805

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I bought the car and initially it ran fine, but over the two years I've owned it, things have begun to break down. The passenger window screeches when I roll it down, it gobbles up oil and gas. I have to put oil in it every 3 wks or so its a rare occasion when the engine light is off. It's an automatic, but the transmission shifts very funky it lurches sometimes and lately has been making weird noises when idling its fun to drive when it puts out but unfortunately that is becoming less and less. It seems like 1/2 the ppl who own a beetle love it & the other 1/2 absolutely hate it! I think I'm growing to be the half that is displeased don't be fooled don't buy the car because its "cute"

flower holder, trunk, hatchback is convenient

Longer visors! And to figure something else out for the cup holders, the way they are the designed is the stupidest design i've ever seen. i have two cup holders in the front, but can only use one b/c the genius that designed it doesn't know how to take measurements.