Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I LOVED this car, just too small...
By Nicolle

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely adored this car. She was gun-metal grey and I named her Judy, after Judy Jettson. Also lovingly called her the bubble-mobile because EVERYTHING inside is round or rounded. Super fun to drive, very reliable, very comfortable. But it did some weird stuff, as do all my vehicles. The overheat light kept coming on, even when I'd first start it up. Then it would go off. Then come back on. Eventually I was driving on the highway and it severely overheated, melted the head gasket and there was anti-freeze in the oil. Ridiculous. I had thought the light was malfunctioning, not the cooling system. Only complaint about it is that any time something went wrong, it was EXPENSIVE to fix!

Comfortable, heated seats, everything was automatic, fully loaded car w/sunroof, awesome! Cute and fun, easy to drive, VW has some really cool features in their cars, highly recommended if you can afford it when they break.

Really, VW engineering is amazing. I would say make the warranty longer and cover more. Like 100,000 instead of 50,000. Fuel door actuator broke, as well as driver's side indicator telling the car that the door was open, so it would lock after 1 minute if you didn't start it. Annoying!

timing belt
By Pete Poindextrer

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We purchased our bug about 11 months ago. We immediately had to replace the AC condenser but later found out that it was the electrical box to the AC. The mechanic said that this was common for this car. We had the timing belt break and it destroyed most of the engine. VW states that the timing belt should last 1005,00 miles. Ours broke at 86,000. This cost us $2600.

Piece of Junk!!
By Karen Cole

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lemon!Threw a rod yesterday Always kept up with oilchanges. From the day we bought this car NEW we have had trouble with it ranging from front axles,water pump,seat belt sensors, transmission sensors, etc. Have been towed 4 times. Thousands spent on repairs.Now we have o replace the motor. Call customer care all they ever give is a canned answer Sorry you feel that way. They don't care about their consumers. Their no corrosion warranty means nothing unless it actually rust through. That makes no sense!!!

NONE!!!!

Paid too much
By ABD

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Beetle GLS 2.0 Bought in July 08 trying to sell in July 09. My son paid $7,900.00 he put 10M miles (96M miles) on it and is trying to sell it for $4995.00. Had to fix driver side power window. Cat went bad VW has 10yr extended warr. Replace brake cables. New tires. 6 disc change went out replaced it. Replace seat buckle to get the air bag light off. Orig key and remote didn't come with car son bought one $200.00. Quick lube shop stripped drain plug. They paid $400.00 to replace oil pan. Now they mechanic says it should have timing belt and water pump replaced. What a money pit. I own 2 toyotas and you change oil and tires when needed and they just keep running. Wouldn't buy VW or Audi

Fun to drive easy to park.

Upgrade all the components and make the car easier to work on. Most mechanics would rather not work on VWs and Audi

Mostly Good
By Heatherdear

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

For the most part, my Beetle was a good car. It was small, easy to park, fun to drive, and got fairly good gas mileage. However, it seemed like every 4-5 months it had to go to the shop to get worke on because something went wrong. I went to the Post Office once and when I went to leave, the brake sensor went out so the car wouldn't recognize that I had my foot on the brake so I couldn't take the car out of park. It had to get the coils on several cylinders replaced multiple times. There were other issues as well but I still enjoyed the car. I can honestly say that in a bad accident, the has great safety features, providing miniscule injuries.

I really liked the flower vase because it was a neat thing to have. I liked that they brought the Beetle back, that it was small, and that it handled very well. I liked that it was automatic and it seemed to have a lot of character.

I believe that Volkswagen could have worked a little harder to make the car a little more reliable and have fewer problems. Also, making the interior a different color would be beneficial as children and tan seats and carpet are not a good combination.