Used 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Too many defects
By mixuone

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Beetle and probably my last VW ever. Don't get me wrong, if VW had acknowledged the defects early enough I would still consider another VW after this lease runs out next year. This Beetle had the sensor problem twice and I even filed a Lemon Law report with the state of Massachusetts. VW miraculously fixed the problem before the Lemon Law deadline even though the part was supposed to be on back order for two months. Now I have a leak and the whole floor is soaked. They tell me that water leaks are not covered even though the dealership acknowledged that there was no way for me to know if the sunroom drain tube was clogged. It is not anywhere in the manual.

The turbo engine.

The stereo gets horrible reception and a CD player should be standard by now. Please acknowledge defects before people get so frustrated they give up on VW. There is too much info on the Internet these days to hide obvious defects.

Lemon
By JOE

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Where to begin? The EPM warning light in my 2002 Volkswagen Beetle is on 50% of the time. The check engine light on more than off. The car runs when it is turned off. It runs at 40% power when EPM light is on. VW of America slow to respond. Owning this car has been an awful experience.

Fun car when it runs.

FUN Bug no problems
By Ivan

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2002 Beetle Turbo S used with over 30,000 miles on it. I have about 42,000 on it now. Heard about realiability issues but have had none so far. Fun car to drive, sporty, and fast. Comfort is a little weak for 6'1" guy but overall not bad. I have added a sub to stock Monsoon radio and it sounds way better.

Blast to go fast. I find myself doing 80 mph way to easy and the car feels slow when you are at 65. Love the stickshift and interior. Pop up spoiler, cup style front end, and wide wheels/tires.

Clutch s/b crisper. Better sound insulation would help with wind noise. Otherwise, it is perfect.

Love my bug
By Margaret

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Bug in 2002 because the price was right and, after driving an SUV, I wanted a fuel efficient car. It has been a fine car--reliable and trouble free. It's fun to drive and I never get tired of it. I did not get a turbo, but got a 5-speed and it is plenty fast enough for city driving and on the highway. We will keep this car for our children to drive when they get older.

Round 4 a reason
By TEE

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Turbo S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd turbo Beetle, but my
1st turbo S. I love the beetles
period!!! My lil car is fun to drive, fun
to look at! It draws attention like no
other car on the road!!! Owning and
driving a new beetle is like having a
love affair . . . with a car ! lol

THE GITTY UP AND GO factor

heated seats 4 the rear , but i think VW has that now.