Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

*Sigh*
By peqy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 17.5 year old male, who has been driving this car since I turned 16. I started driving it and really liked the ride. It was very smooth. The insides of the doors were peeling when I got it and continued to peel as I owned it for the next year and a half. I didn't like the looks that I got while driving it, most likely because I am a man. The cupholders are ridiculously placed, and the rubber things come out so the cups don't stay, when they actually fit under the clearance. I had to replace the brake light switch twice because it failed and wouldn't let me take it out of park. I was late to work twice. Also, a belt wore out towards the end. Overall this is a decent first car, but I am never buying another Beetle and probably not a VW either.

It has a great stock sound system, is very comfortbale, and has a smooth ride.

This car is unreliable, has terrible interior quality, and has bad cup holder placement.

Great fun, excellent performance
By Bob Ellenson

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We recently purchased our Volkswagen Beetle GLX having previously driven a GLS for only a few months. What a world of difference! The interior is much nicer (leather, etc) and car just feels “tighter.” The seats are very comfortable and come with individual heaters (not that we need them much in Florida). The controls are easy to use and there is plenty of headroom and legroom (I have to scoot the seat forward and I am 6’2”). The GLS had some “trim” problems (door latch, light bulbs, etc) but the GLX has none of that. Last but not least is the performance with the turbo. The car flat gets out of the hole when you want it to. Add to all that the fluorescent green color and you have one fun car.

The look and styling. The handling and acceleration. The quality of the interior trim panels and carpeting. The vanity lights in the visors.

More cup space would be a bonus. No car should ever be sold without a CD Changer (we had to install one). The paint on the top of the door panel lends itself to scratching - should be upholstered.

Fun and economical
By Dan & Karen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our 2001 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Hatchback a year ago and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. It's not as comfortable as a Cadillac but it's still comfortable, even on long trips. It's excellent on fuel, fast, and fun to drive (a modern and improved version of the classic Beetle). We enjoy waving to other Beetle owners on the road (sort of a cult thing). We also have two large artificial daisies in the vase on the dashboard which complement the car. Overall, we highly recommend this car for those who want something different, economical, and fun to drive.

Great gas mileage, drives and handles like a sports car, dash instrument panel lighting is unique.

This car needs better cup holders, reading lights (front and rear), and wider sun visors (the current ones aren't even big anough to shade your face).

Good, Solid Fun
By xbeetle driver

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 New Beetle has proven to be reliable, stylish, and economical. I get a steady 26 mpg in my dail commute. It cruises easily above legal limits showing it was designed to run German autobahns. Great seats - no bun or back aches after a day of driving. Excellent German engineering at a rock bottom price.

Excellent handling, interior design and quality of materials, front seats for leg and head room - lots of standard features for the money and its unique looks.

Basic 2.0 liter engine needs about 20 more horses. Power window design has had the Bug into the shop twice for warranty work; inside door handle cover peals.

It's the little things
By NL

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was not what I had hoped. The headlamps needed to be changed every two months, the gas door froze, then broke, the front console where the cups holders are broke. The a/c broke at one point due to a mechanical failure...a little piece of plastic broke inside the dash, ended up costing me $500 to fix. I've paid the car off and hoped to keep it until the engine died...but I think the inside will fall to pieces before that happens.

Not a bad ride in bad weather.

The interior is cheap as heck, I will never buy another Volkswagen.