Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Great Car, who needs a hybrid
By AJM

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I was surprised by the features and how solid the car is. We have gotten over 50 mpg on the highway but mostly see 44 overall avg. The TDI powerplant runs well in the WI winters and offers power that few gas engines can offer. I purchased used for under 10 grand with heated leather seats, sunroof, 6 disk, 5 speed, alloys, etc. Why waste money on a hybrid - TDI is a "green" alternative.

MPG's, power, comfort, drives great!

Cheap electronics (switches), costly repairs - even the repair shop had to change the headlight bulbs. Cup holders are bad, although fixed in newer models.

I hate Volkswagen!
By Teresa Mota

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This car is my nightmare. I hate it so much. I have it since January and I already spent $3,000 fixing it! I'm so tired of all that happened with it. And I'm broke obviously. Do never ever ever buy a Volkswagen whatever model it is that has more than 4/5 years. I'm from Portugal, and there I had a Renault twingo, you probably don't know what it is, but its way cheaper and way better than this thing! And my car was from 1994! Shame on you Volkswagen!

The exterior and interior design!

Everything needs to be improved!

Fun Car to Drive
By Monte

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

For starters folks, if your looking at a used Beetle be prepared to put a little time and money into it. I have found so many things that the first 2 owners never took care of it's crazy. My Beetle has 90,000 miles on it and it's never had the cabin filter changed, the plugs and wires where still O.E., the fuel filter had never been replaced. I don't blame the car for these issues I blame the previous owners for not taking good care of the car. Since changing out the items mentioned I average 28 mpg in town and 33-34 mpg on the highway.

I love the classic looks, the heated seats (Colorado weather), the stereo ROCKS, and the 2.0L engine is quick and peppy. I also enjoy not feeling like I have to pry myself out of the car, the seats are adjustable so I only need to turn and stand right up to get out.

Better / bigger cup holders for todays take out sized (medium = 32oz)cups, maybe a 5th gear ratio that is less than 3600 rpm at 75 mph (would improve gas mileage)

Lemon!
By Hannah

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Bug for a year and half and had only heartache. I thought a Bug would be a good choice as my aunt had her '78 Bug for 17 yrs and was in still great running condition when she sold it. I was disappointed to find that this high reliability no longer exists in the new Bugs. To begin with the sensors had to be replaced, and the seatbelt covers. Then the oil pan sprung a leek, the axle bent, the cd player broke. Now my driver's seat no longer stays locked as it should. The sunroof visor is now off track and to top it off my air filter is now over heating the car and causing it to die and need a jump start. I can't run the air at all. I've thrown over $4000 into the trash for this lemon car!

The sunroof and big windows. The cute design and colors. Very fun to drive!

Just about everything including the gas mileage, my Bug only get 19 mpg!

Sad Ending
By ex owner

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my bug as a gift to myself I have always wanted one since sitting in my uncles old beetle as a kid and finally got it. Unfortunately I have had many problems mostly small but they add up, my biggest problem and suggestion would be to make sure prior to purchase you have a qualified mechanic that is knowledgeable with vw that you trust. I have found this to be important with mine and unfortunately there is only one vw dealer in the area (crooks $500 oil change, because they demolished to oil pan, and later denied fault) As my car has aged though the check engine light has become a glowing friend, that mysteriously can not be fixed!This has been going on for 4 mo and $1,000, now trading

Looks, get a lot of attention from by standers, you always can win at slug bug, the bug club (other owners waving and honking, I don't really know why but they do and it's fun).I love the visibility. I do have to say she has never left me stranded anywhere we've always limped to help when needed.

use quality parts, don't make everything so darn complicated, you should not have to try 5 mass airflow sensors to get it right, and how many window switches do you really need to replace before you chg it to better material obviously what you put on it isn't working.