Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Lemon!
By Hannah

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Bug for a year and half and had only heartache. I thought a Bug would be a good choice as my aunt had her '78 Bug for 17 yrs and was in still great running condition when she sold it. I was disappointed to find that this high reliability no longer exists in the new Bugs. To begin with the sensors had to be replaced, and the seatbelt covers. Then the oil pan sprung a leek, the axle bent, the cd player broke. Now my driver's seat no longer stays locked as it should. The sunroof visor is now off track and to top it off my air filter is now over heating the car and causing it to die and need a jump start. I can't run the air at all. I've thrown over $4000 into the trash for this lemon car!

The sunroof and big windows. The cute design and colors. Very fun to drive!

Just about everything including the gas mileage, my Bug only get 19 mpg!

Sad Ending
By ex owner

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my bug as a gift to myself I have always wanted one since sitting in my uncles old beetle as a kid and finally got it. Unfortunately I have had many problems mostly small but they add up, my biggest problem and suggestion would be to make sure prior to purchase you have a qualified mechanic that is knowledgeable with vw that you trust. I have found this to be important with mine and unfortunately there is only one vw dealer in the area (crooks $500 oil change, because they demolished to oil pan, and later denied fault) As my car has aged though the check engine light has become a glowing friend, that mysteriously can not be fixed!This has been going on for 4 mo and $1,000, now trading

Looks, get a lot of attention from by standers, you always can win at slug bug, the bug club (other owners waving and honking, I don't really know why but they do and it's fun).I love the visibility. I do have to say she has never left me stranded anywhere we've always limped to help when needed.

use quality parts, don't make everything so darn complicated, you should not have to try 5 mass airflow sensors to get it right, and how many window switches do you really need to replace before you chg it to better material obviously what you put on it isn't working.

VW New Beetle Always in the Repair Shop!
By J. Engle

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We bought a new 2000 VW GLS 1.8T since my wife had owned an original Beetle for over 15 years. We were hoping the second time around would be as good or better than the first Beetle she had owned. The New Beetle we bought was constantly in the shop for chronic and annoying electrical problems. The entire front dash wiring went out just after the warranty expired. We got tired of spending repair money on this New Beetle and the fact that it was constantly in the repair shop for electrical problems. We went out and bought a new 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which we love for the gas mileage and which has never had any repairs other than routine maintenance. We will never buy a VW product again!

The Turbo Engine ran well but burned oil. Had to switch to synthetic motor oil which helped. Fun to drive on the highway and hugs the road nicely.

Quality on this car which we bought new was terrible---always in the repair shop with (expensive) electrical problems. The 1.8 Turbo burns 91 octane which is too expensive.

A BIG lemon!
By KMAC

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

My parents bought my bug for me when I turned 16. I was so excited when I got it! But soon I started to hate it! So many things have gone wrong such as I have had to get a new clutch, thermostat, headlight, taillights, window motors in both Windows, plastic parts in the car are always breaking and etc. Taking it to a VW dealership is crazy because they charged me almost $400 just to look at it not to mention that the parts are very costly too! Overall its a cheaply made car! I would not recommend this car to anyone else!

Good on gas and it handles curves very well!

Change the cup holders i can only use mine for change!

Buggin'
By LEISHA

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I haven't owned my Beetle for very long but what little time I have had it I LOVE IT! Who would have ever thought these little cars would have so much room and POWER! These are not stripped down cars, they too have lots of neat options. It hugs the road so when meeting big trucks you don't have to worry about being blown around. Great gas mileage!

Heated Leather Seats that you can choose from 1 to 5 and not just on or off. AM/FS, Cassette Player, and 6 CD player. Most of all the 5 speed transmission.

If the location of the cup holders could somehow be placed in a better place and not so far underneath the dash that would be GREAT.