Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Still a great car after 10 years
By Dave McLaughlin

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

The VW diesel is the best, who needs a hybrid. Mileage has been 38-45 mpg over the last ten years. Car is very comfortable with 5 levels of heat for the leather seats.Car has never let our family down. With the rear seats folded you have a lot of space to haul things. If you have to drive a lot, get a diesel, your savings will add up over time. We have 145k miles and still going strong. We bought it new and still like the car.

MPG, comfortable, people always talk about their beetle experiences, looks of the car.

nothing major, we have had few problems.

Cute but crappy
By luvely21

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Took it in the next day after purchase to service the driver window because it didn't want to go up.The interior melts in the sun.Switches in the car fall off,like window switches. Cupholders detach therefore, i have a big orange juice stain on the passenger floor.Replaced both headlights at least once every year, very expensive, due to labor.VW made it difficult for customers to do themselves.Head of car hit pavement going over bumps.Forgot how many times I took it to get something fixed or replaced.AC filter needed to be cleaned within the 1st year and VW charged me for that. Hubcaps fell off in the 1st year of ownership.I hate this car.Even my Sentra from the 80's treated me better.

Looks cute, the lights that light up the speedometer,easy to make u turns, can fit into small parking spaces, and smells like crayons.

The whole interior design except for where the speedometer is.Make it easier for other repair shops besides the dealer to work on it.Everything but the look of the car needs to be changed.

Over Priced Niche Car
By fuscia

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

bought used in 2002, I'm so disappointed. I've literally watched my car disintegrate around me. I'm a fastidious car owner and keep my cars clean. I've had electrical issues, the interior has been disintegrating since the day I bought it used. The window switches break, the weird rubber dash coating scratches easily, the vinyl interior is coming away from the door, hatchback won't close properly,fog light bracket broke,water pump melted, the suspension's shot after 7 yrs normal driving, speakers are starting to crackle after normal volume levels, the emergency brake rusted thru within 3 yrs,the brakes stick and wear the pads down. The car is meant to be looked at not driven on a daily basis

I love the design, it's like driving a little space ship. Very safe. Exterior paint has held up very well. Maybe good for my daughter to drive when she's old enough.

The interior parts are SO cheap yet SO expensive to replace!!!!! No room for American sized beverages in the cup holders. I wonder if they've improved these issues with later models? Gas mileage is pretty lame for such a small car. The people's car??? Really????

Mind of Its Own
By chicadee1652

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Heres what I went through in the ten months that I owned my bug before trading it in: 2 new alternators ($400 each), 4 new tires ($450 for all), getting stranded b/c the battery was dead all the time, new front brakes ($300), and then, the mother of all, in one weekend- oil change that led to $800 repair for hose that kept engine cool, $900 for new timing belt in the engine, and the guy also told me it would need a new front axle. I said forget it, so I traded it in the next day for a 2006 Hyundai sonata which drives like a Lexus!

the turbo, and that was only when it worked. the looks. and heated seats.

anything electrical. my check engine light was on for 9 months out of the ten months that i owned it.

Very Reliable and Fun
By Barronae

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car now for 5 years and am just now going to get rid of it due to my growing family and needing something bigger. This car has been WONDERFUL! I've never had to do anything other than routine maintenance!! I hate having to sell and I recommend this car to anyone!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!