Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

GREAT!
By Tiffanaynay

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My Volkswagen Beetle is roomy, fun to drive, and pleasing to the eye. My father bought this car for me and I am in love with it....

The sunroof and automatic opening windows.

None

Fun, Fast Car
By mwoodward

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had no problems with my New Beetle. The Turbo can really throw you down the road and it makes driving fun again. I bought this after a friend told me that she loved her Beetle and had no issues. She went out and bought another convertible Beetle not too long ago.

The spunky engine, well laid out controls, fun to drive, and how it turns heads.

A little better quality. Some of the rubber coverings and paint on the steering wheel are wearing off.

Great little car
By Bob Kunkel

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I was looking at hybrids, but after seeing the actual mileage, I went with a used Turbo Diesel Beetle. It gets great mileage and is a good, comfortable, and stable vehicle at home, in the city, and on the highway. At 70 mph it tracks straight, and is very stable. Its gas mileage on the highway is 53 mpg, and in town combined has never been less than 41 mpg. If it was only city driving it would be less, but I have never been a strictly city driver. All in all, this is a well done car.

Moonroof, great radio and CD changer, heated mirrors, and heated seats.

It needs a six disk changer in the dash, not in the trunk.

Love / Hate My Bug
By lovehatemybug

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I've babied Volkswagen Beetle. I have no kids and have had no accidents and yet I am so disappointed with the lousy platic lack of craftsmanship in the interior. The window switches needed to be replaced, I needed new clips for the moonroof contols, and there is peeling rubber on the door handles. UGH!

My Bug rocks and rolls on the highway. It has excellent pickup and is much fun to drive! Plus it's a cutie!

What's happened to that German craftsmanship I knew in my 1986 Golf? That car would have lasted through anything.

Good Car, Bad Electronics
By ncskibum

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I love the way the Volkswagen Beetle handles. The seats are infinitely adjustable and the steering wheel tilts and telescopes. Everyone can find a comfortable position. Add to all that, the 45 mpg around town that it gets and there should be no more to say. However, VW electronics are trash. Everything links into one central processing unit so if there is a problem with a door lock, the car may decide not to go! I typically spend $500 on non-routine maintainence items a year. Routine maintainence adds another $400 - 600. I am starting to do more of my own service as an effort to save money and keep my Bug rolling down the highway.

The great gas mileage of the diesel engine and comfortable seats.

Fix electronic and service garage issues (another whole topic). Put fabric in that does not stain as easily.