Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

The Bug
By Stuntman

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

VW Beetles are great cars. They are solid and fun to drive. Handling-wise the stock H rated tires crimp them a little, but upgrade to a Y, or Z rated tire and WOW she handles better then my Toyota MR2. Drivetrain-wise the gears are perfect for the power. She will scoot up to 60 in about 7-8 sec (manual 2.0). This is a heck of a fun car to drive on a windy road. It gets great gas mileage, 30-32 mpg highway.

The design, power, handling, solid build materials, and oh yeah did I mention they are German!

Give it a little more power (speed freak here). It should have a metal water pump impeller (the stock one is plastic and will fail at 95,000 - 108,000 miles)

Little Things...
By Ladys Bug

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '99 Beetle with 38,000 miles on it. It now has 52,000 miles. It is pretty good overall, despite the little "Mickey Mouse" problems that most bug owners complain about (cup holders, visors, etc.). The cloth seats do stain easily. The plastic does melt and scratch/break easily. The lights are iffy, however they are not as hard to replace as most think. Get a Haynes Repair manual (about $12 at any auto shop). My car's headlight was replaced in 10 minutes and for only $3 (the cost of the bulb). Everything seems to be working fine except for the CD player which is located in the trunk and a leak in my a.c. evaporator. The shop quoted me about $2,000 to fix it. I said "no thanks" and just added freon. It's good for now until it all leaks out again, in which case i will add more freon.

The acceleration, handling on curves and turns, exterior styling, good gas mileage, front seats are roomy, good sound system, interior lights, and how it shifts easily.

It should have better cup holders, smaller blind spots, bigger sun visors, and and what's up with the cheap plastic?!?! How about something that doesn't melt? I should have more room in the backseat, maybe some power seats? The turny knob to adjust the seat is a pain in the butt. It should have a bigger trunk and easier engine access.

Good Car
By Alisa

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my '99 for seven months. I had a '98 Beetle for a year and half before I got this one. When I got into an accident there was no doubt I was getting another Bug. It's a great car, and it does well in the mountains and on long high trips. I've had to change both headlight bulbs, window motors, serpentine belts and the AC has a leak. Aside from these minor things (which I've come to find EVERY car manufacturer has) the car runs great, is fun to drive, and I get tons of compliments on my cute red car. I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer, higher model soon.

The space, three-way adjusting seats, telescoping steering wheel, easy to shift, and the "zippiness" of the 2.0 liter engine.

This car is hard to work on for do it yourselfers, the sun visors are useless, the cloth upholstery is hard to keep clean, and wish I had leather and a sunroof.

TDI Diesel Beetle After Seven Years
By diesel

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

After seven years of daily use, I am still very happy with my Beetle. Other New Beetles have had reliability problems, but I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I have had minor problems with the window switches breaking, but the replacements seem to have held up. This is a much better engine than the 2.0L gas, and it gives far better economy. The downside is whenever we go somewhere I always have to drive!

The engine is the best thing about this car. It gets great fuel economy and has great torque. I can pass almost everything on the long uphills, especially at high altitude. Everyone who drives it is impressed with the power. The styling never changes, which is good.

Cons: Many impractical features due to the design, I wish it had bought a Golf instead. For instance, car does not have a rectangular trunk - cannot carry golf bag. Also, the rear seat headroom is not good. The front pillars interfere with visibility. Finally, it badly needs extensions for the sun visors.

What a fun car!
By Alice

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle. It is fun to drive...like driving a big go cart. I have had to have the transmission replaced and a new starter. That is all that has been replaced and it has almost 91,000 miles on it. If it had better gas mileage that would be good. It is a great little car. I will definitely buy another...only it will be a manual with a sunroof or convertible.

The whole thing.