Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I love my yellow Beetle
By tara

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have to say my bug is running good even thought it has 137,000 miles on it no major problems yet. And this is the first bug I ever owned and I love it. Great on gas. But the light bulbs have to be changed every time one goes out. I just love my bug, it's a fantastic car when nothing goes wrong with it.

The dash board lights up blue, a little vase.

Great car
By e

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love my car. It's been great - it's got about 166,000 miles on it at this point, same clutch! Needs only the basic maintenance, nothing special. Fun to drive. Paint still looks great, still running strong. Will easily make it past 200,000. No doubt.

Love this bug
By tb

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love my yellow color bug. No problems, fantastic on gas. I love all the features on the car. My car is a 1999 VW Bug. I love how the inside dash board lights up blue at night. The seats are really comfortable. When you get on the highway it really responds fast. The car has been mantained.

The dash board lighting up blue. The intermittent wipers. The daytime running lights.

Not my Grandma's '58
By straightliner

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

First VW I've owned. Purchased used w/55K and doubled the mileage. Not bad in the beginning, but repairs have been escalating. Went through three water pumps, mass air flow sensor failed, intake leak (causing check engine light and failed emissions), radiator replacement. Funny, but all the electrical glitches and broken plastic others complain about haven't been a problem. The alarm system never seemed to work as advertised, trunk latch doesn't always catch and I got stranded w/the valet key once, but otherwise OK. Fun to drive, love the stick and still turns heads after all these years. I'm glad I tried it, but approaching 110K and $4,000 in repairs, I'm ambivalent.

Cute styling, fun factor, non-turbo nets an extra 10 mpg (I get about 30 with city/hwy mix, but have seen as high as 37 pure hwy), cool way the seats fold fwd, spacious interior and head/leg room (in front only!).

Need a big quality improvement. Three gang cupholders under console are ridiculous for cups, but are perfect for a coin holder, small bottle of hand lotion, and cell phone.

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle
By zoomzoom06

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Ok, so I loved this car when I first got it. Fun to drive, envy of friends, etc. Well, then the problems started. This car eats fluids like crazy, the oil and anitfreeze especially. The fuse for the brakelights blew. The 'check engine' and ABS lights stay on for no reason. I have heard these are common problems, but come on, you'd think they would have fixed them. Also, I hate pumping it with gas. If the pump's nozzle is not in just the right position, the stupid thing stops because the sensor says the tank is full although it is not. There are so many more problems I could list, but there is not enough room to put them all down! Reconsider whether or not to purchase, and don't do it!

Sooo fun to drive, very sturdy exterior, easy to manuever due to small build, large interior - great for tall people like me, love the sound of the engine on acceleration, cools quickly when ac is on.

Fewer blind spots, fix the quality of the engine, smoother ride - bumps are hard to take in this.