Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Never Again
By vw99

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car used from a VW dealership, said it had been checked out and was in great condition. 6 months later came in for extensive engine repairs, have been back to the service department at least 4 times a year since then for random electrical failures. Check engine light is on at least once a month for no reason, I go in and pay $90 for them to turn it off. Have spent over half of what I paid for the car in repairs and that is with taking it to cheaper garages instead of paying the ridiculous prices at the dealership. It is very cute and fun to drive but extremely poor quality and the most unreliable car I've ever driven. Do not make the same mistake!

Blue dash lights, heated leather seats, fun to drive

VW needs to step up their quality and stand by their work. Service departments unhelpful and overpriced by hundreds.

Love-Bug
By JerseyShore524

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Love my car! I can fit 3 adults (me included) and a car seat quite comfortably. It hugs turns and is quick as a bunny. German cars are really made better!!

Blue dash lights...ample power outlets..cute fold away key.

Was not thrilled about not being able to fit my child's stroller in the trunk. Drink holders are kind of useless unless you have a can. Tape deck outdated.

A good and a bad car.
By Tara

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

A week ago I wrote a review for me bug and a couple of days when I wrote the review I have noticed that the transmission is doing some weird noises.

the blue and red on the dashboard

No trouble at all
By Tara

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have a yellow bug for a year now and I have no trouble with it yet. I just love the bug. It has a lot of miles on it and I am afraid one day the bug is going to give up so I am thinking of selling it and getting a Volkswagen Cabrio.

I love the dashboard lights in the inside of the car.

I don't think I have anything bad to say about the bug I think the bug is a cute and reliable car.

VW longevity
By lisa'sVW

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have wanted a VW since I was a child. In 2000 I purchased my first beetle. I am still driving it to this day. The bug has over 110,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had are the buttons on the radio snapped off inside the dash and I had to have it repaired, my heater died, and one sensor when bad. I can not stress enough to have only a VW dealership work on your car for any repair. I recently had new belts, spark plugs and wires, and few other things done to my car, only because I wanted to be a good "mommy" and take care of my baby. The garage was not a VW repair shop. To fix what they messed up has costed me over 1500. I have learnt my lesson.

The headroom up front is great. Easy parking is helpful.

More toys inside. Better seats.