Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Love it so far!
By Dangercart82

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Just got my 1999- cyber green- 2.0 -5 speed with 82k miles. So far I love it! For a 10 year old car it looks outstanding, (Cyber green faded slightly but that is to be expected) It had one previous owner and was well maintained. I had to replace the timing belt right away because it had never been done and the motor for the window/lock on the drivers side was dead (also to be expected.) The ABS light is always on, not sure if that's a big deal or not yet the brakes seem to work fine. Other than all that she is perfect :)

I love the cyber green, even slightly faded it looks great, turns heads. The 5-speed is peppy, lots of get up and go, engine is quiet as a mouse, VW factory sound system sounds great, surprisingly roomy interior, power everything is cool and I like how the trunk sounds like a space pod opening

The cup holders! Who approved that? No one drinks cans in the car and thats all that will fit. Also the blind spot is much bigger than my old subcompact ford zx2 and kind of caught me offgaurd. An armrest or something between the driver and passenger seats would have been nice too.

My Review
By Patman89

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 1999 Red New Beetle for almost two years now... The first year I never had any problems! But my car overheated and dummy me I kept driving with the red coolant light on for about 20 minutes on interstate 80. Luckily no serious damaged was done, but I paid $1100 for labor and the replacements. But I love my Beetle, I really want a newer one thats redesigned, I'm always jealous when I see them. I've been lucky to not have major problems. However, the sun visors on the top do not block the sun at all! The cup holders don't work well since it's under the dashboard. And I notice my seats are that comfy compared to a 2005 model and for long drives my back hurts.

My key, interior lights, sound system,

Thankfully, in the 2006+ models the cup holders area changed. I paid $5,500 for mine on 11/2007 with 117k miles, now I have 143k

You Pay for the performance of a VW
By jay

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought it used with 40K miles. Have used it for commuting and drive it hard over two mountains every day. The speed, handling and torque is outstanding. Use V or Z rated tires for better handling. Great in snow! I average 36mpg with an automatic driving hard. Body still looks new. Needs extended sun visors!!! Now the negatives....from 92K to 135K was about $4K in maintainence-- exhaust;cat. converter; axle boots; plus the ENIGINE LIGHT at least 2 time per year at a cost of 3-400 each time! Now faced at 145K whether to keep to dump as I can still pass everyone on the road and go uphills at incredible speed and confidence. Plus--an incredible stereo and safety features for a 10 yr car

The get up and Go!

Sun visors and cup holders! Many broken knobs, etc.

A true gem
By sunnygirl

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

After the purchase of our 99 beetle we have only been back to the dealership for oil changes, nothing else. We purchased the car through the CPO program and never looked back. This car is the best car we have ever owned, hands down!

We love the fuel economy and the fun it adds to my wife's drive to work every day.

Advertise more, the VW brand could be much stronger in the US.

I have gotten my money's worth!
By Emilee

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought my bug used on Ebay for $6500 with 75,000 miles on it. It now has $130K miles and is still going strong. I have maintained this vehicle and it only broke down once when some board fried out and cost me $238. The AC Compressor did go out and the dealership quoted $1200 to replace it. Instead I bought a compressor on Ebay for $200 and my mechanic put it in for $200 and its been working fine. It seems like the headlights and brake lights go out a lot and are very expensive to replace. Poor design that allows water intrusion. The trunk latch and gas cap latch stopped working at 100K and the alarm has never worked right. Minor issues overall! I still love it & would buy another.

Fold down seat, consistent gas mileage of 26 mpg in the city, overall comfort, sporty design

Interior plastic, redesign lights, fix freaky alarm