Used 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Been 10 great years
By trazy

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased mine back in 03' from a dealership with 35k miles. I just crossed the 110k mark.

So far I've had nothing I'd consider a "major" problem. At 90k miles the water pump went out. I also replaced the tensioner and belt. Yesterday it started misfiring bad and learned the coil pack had gone bad. I also replaced the spark plugs and the wires while having that replaced. Aside from that just changing the oil, brake pads, filters...etc. Only needing 2 sub $500 repairs in 10 years of ownership. To me, that's great.

Little things have broke though. Switches, trunk latch, knobs. But those are little DIY cheap repairs.

Car handles exceptionally well which despite it not being that fast makes it's extremely fun to drive. It's a smaller car but the backseats laying down does wonders for storage space. I can lug around my full drum kit in it.

I've never found the seats very comfortable for long commutes. Head rest is far back and can't ever lean your head against it. The front cup holders are directly under the center console with not much clearance space, so only shorter drinks can fit into them.

Debt.
By savannahb

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

We bought this car as a first car, and at first, it was great... Until about two months later when we spent $1200 on engine, heating, and oil repairs. (Mind you, $1200 is a little less than half of what we paid for it.) Then the buggy worked fine until the window rolled down and wouldn't roll back up... And the tail light bulb burst... And the battery kept dying. If I had the choice, I'd sell it to my now-well-known VW repair man for spare parts and buy a RELIABLE car.

None that I can think of.

Don't waste your time, go buy a different car.

1999 VW Beetle (2.0 Engine, GLS, Automatic)
By hulahips2

Love my buggie!!!!!!!!!!
I bought this used with approximately 55,000 miles on it back in 2010.
Now my mileage is @ 75,000 and it has held up nicely.
My buggie can move when I need it to, stop when I need it too.
Suspension is awesome!
I can fit into any stall with ease.
And i think the quality is top notch (excluding switches, etc.), however, the German glass is top notch, so is the body from rust and the door closes nicely.
in fact I really like the way VW makes the doors close, that certain sound it makes! LOL
I'm truly a VW believer.

The drive, the handling, the looks, the quality of how its made, the way the door closes, the glass they use on the windshield is top notch, there are no water mark stains and clear like new!

Make more accessories!!! And keep the beetle alive!!!!!!

Ughhh so disappointed
By iloveu21

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

i 1st bought my car from a used dealership..i loved my buggy and was so excited...BUT the 1st week i bought my car my gadge for my gas was not telling me the proper amount of gas in my car since my car still had a warranty the dealer fixed it. 4 months after that my check engine light came on,and ever since then my car never has been the same...check engine light comes on sometimes for no reason, my cars alternator broke, my engine system broke, and i have gotten to a small car accident which just broke my radiator which just cost me $150...but still it was ridiculous and now after having it for just a year my transmission is DONE and now all that money wasted on fixing my car is nothing now

Always Broke Down
By HOLLY

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car new in '99 & was so happy for about 2 yrs. The wipers never really cleared the windshield sufficiently & the radio never picked up ANY stations. Cup holders were a joke & the emergency brake would stick when it was cold out (makes it hard to warm up a standard when you can't set the brake) Heater took too long to warm up & if the ac fan was on high forget accelerating. The brake and headlights were a constant hassle as was the O2 sensor (replaced it 3Xs & only the 2nd was covered by a recall) I had 3 breakdowns while traveling, costing thousands. Melted fuse box, blown motor, peeling interior & exterior. I cared for this car properly but always wanted to push it off a cliff!!

Handling. I loved that the seats hopped up and forward to access the back seat.

I would hope that since '99 improvements have been made. Side mirrors are right in a persons line of sight, very dangerous!