Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Never buy a VW Beetle
By naty4419

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the Beetle as my very first new car! I loved the design, the color...but I had numerous problems with the car but I was not able to lemon law it. Do not waste your money on one. I ask Beetle owners what do they think about the car and the reply is always the same. They stink!

New Beetle Blues
By KatyGrl1

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Never buy a first-year model. I made the mistake once and will not do it again. The VW Beetle was fun to drive but highly undependable. Little, silly things broke all of the time and all over the place. It guzzled oil as well. Don't be lured by the adorable body style and catchy ads.

cute but dont buy
By Cheer Chick

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I loved this car when i first bought it, but then after I had it for a week it was back in the shop. I've had the transmission replaced twice on this thing. The light bulbs keep goin out and the window buttons always break. My window broke while it was down which was horrible. The dealer always is really expensive too. My brake light switch went out too and I couldn't move my car. This car spends more time in the shop then it does on the road! VW seriously needs to rethink some ideas on the Bug. My interior door handles are pealing and the cup holders stink. I can't even put any drink besides a can in there. It also needs more horspower. It has horrible acceleration! Don't buy a new Beetle.

The style, comfort, and the flower vase.

Better cup holders, interior, mechanics, electrial system, and make them better made. What happenned to German enginnering? German cars should not be made in Mexico.

I Love my Bug
By Laura

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I fell in love with my Volkswagon Bug when I drove past it one morning. I went out and test drove it, and it was beautiful! It is a five speed and has a nice take off. Everything changes so smoothly. The large dash is something to get used to but you dont even notice after a bit. I love the large windows and everything is within reach of the driver (stereo, air hazards) This is a car for a woman looking for a little bit of cute fun!

Sunroof, spoiler and the automatic button for the window one press and your windows go up or down. It is great not to have to sit there and wait for them!

The only thing im not happy with is the location of the gas button and the trunk one. Mine got rained on and now they don't work and cost a little too much to fix ($700)

Perfect
By Bug Lover

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love my Volkswagen! Sure I have had a few problems with it, you have problems with every car. I highly recommend VW and I am currently searching for my newest addition, a Bug Conv.

I love the gas mileage and the trunk space.

Everything that I would have suggested has already been corrected in the newer models.