Used 1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

It's worth the few flaws!!
By kassidyheath

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year with 100,000 miles on it, and throughout the additional 16,000 miles i've driven, the problems have been minor, few, and far between. I felt confident buying it with so many miles already on it because Volkswagen engines seem to be bulletproof. Initially when idling, the engine would have a tendency to overheat in the Florida summers but having a mechanic for a father and adjusting the cooling system there haven't been any problems since. The transmission is a little rough during acceleration and deceleration, but it's 14 years old. I rear ended a pickup once pretty hard and the truck suffered
a lot worse than the Beetle! Very safe, love this car.

I love the lengthy dashboard, and the trunk is surprisingly spacey! The front seats have plenty of foot room and the backseats aren't as cramped as they'd seem from the outside. The car itself has a lot of personality, it's really easy to park in tight spaces, the handling is really reliable and I feel very safe while driving. I love, love my beetle!

The cup holders are pretty lame, because the dashboard extends so low there's no room for any bottles or cups. I wish the backseat windows rolled down. The roof in the back is a pretty low and my tall friends complain about hitting their heads when we carpool. Also, I wish I got better mileage. At 22 mpg, it's disappointingly wasteful for its size. I don't own the diesel version, but it gets around 50 mpg and for a thousand or so more it would have been a wiser investment. Also if you're really into music, I recommend updating the sound system. Since it's got such a small cabin it doesn't need much as far as amplification, and i'm so happy with it!! :)

our 98 Beetle
By ourlibby

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

We like our's, runs great, good on gas, inside is a joke ! But for a good sound,,, take off the muffler just run the cat :)

The sound

inside trim.

Do not waste your time on Beetles PLEASE
By lylarose13

I beg you.
I have spent over 3000 and now need a new transmission (everybody seems to need these with these cars.)
The car only has 70 K's and when I bought it only had 39,000.
NOTHING BUT A MONEY PIT of problems and every time I turn around I see more and more people with the EXACT same issues as me to a, "t."
Like others have said, it should be illegal to make a car this unsafe, and unreliable.
Even though my car is older there are similar problems with newer models of this car.
I can't think of a worse car to own then this one.
Seriously.

NONE

They should just learn to make reliable cars like Japanese makers. Seriously my favorite car is a BMW but after owning a German car with this many problems, I WILL NEVER EVER EVER own one even if it was given to me for free.

207k still running
By GJR

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

cant believe its 12 yrs old. Held up great, but, so many repairs and each was very costly,$400-$800. Fun car to drive, but too many simple flaws that were too costly to bother fixing, ie:gas cap not closing. and breaking of same parts-bargain price, but too costly to maintain after a few years. Although many parts still original and reliable car, ends dont justify the means.

Great tight handling, like a go-cart- great parking in NYC

arm rest, interior lights, has none.

The Money Pit
By Diana

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

All my daughter wanted after she turned 16 was a VW Bug. We found one in Albuquerque, New Mexico where we are originally from and my husband drove it back to Texas. The night he arrived the clutch went out. ($2000) Repairs were delayed due to the engine hood latch broke and couldn't open it. It is now in the repair shop again with a busted oil pan which we are finding is very hard to find without the sensor hole in it. These are the major expenses that have incurred in the very short time of ownership. The little expenses are endless. I am so disappointed in VW I thought they were better car manufactures than this.