Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love my TDI!
By carcully

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 4/13 (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We purchased our Toffee Brown 2013 Jetta TDI last summer, and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
My folks have a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, so I had the pleasure of driving their car on occasion, and was immediately hooked on its performance and power, with such incredible fuel economy.
We have 2 sons, and it transports the 4 of us around very comfortably.
I love that the actual MPG is even BETTER than what is advertised. We get about 38 around town, and have gotten 51 on freeway trips.
Love the V-tex Leatherette interior--so easy to clean. Just a great all-around vehicle.

TDI fuel economy, plenty of power, v-tex sturdy, easy to clean interior, standard heated seats, cavernous trunk, feels sturdy and safe, yet still sporty and fun to drive.

None at this time

8 Month, 25,000 Mile Review
By bailey08

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I traded my 2004 Infiniti for a new Jetta TDI 8 months ago and currently have 25k miles on it. I bought it because of the gas mileage since I commute/travel 3k miles a month. With that said, I average between 38-40 mpg on my commute to and from work. Volkswagen advertises that you can get 609 miles to one tank and that is an understatement. I made it home from NC to the NJ on one tank of gas: 625 miles. (avg speed 70 mph). The DSG transmission is a lot of fun to drive. It offers every-day "Drive" mode or the more exciting "S" mode or for maximum power, you can switch to manual mode. If you are looking for a daily driver/commuter car that offers much more, you should definitely consider.

The keyless entry is great; to unlock the door you simply place your hand on the door handle and to lock the door you touch the outside of the handle. As I mentioned above, the MPG and DSG transmission really make this car great. The seats are firm yet comfortable and I recommend spending the extra money and getting the Premium Package; it offers much better interior quality and really feels high-end. Heated seats are always great and they work fast. The Fender audio system is very good and I also recommend upgrading however, it is not as good as the Bose system in my Infiniti. The Bluetooth is great and I use it every day. The CarGo system is also convenient in the trunk.

While I don't regret getting the Navigation package, it does need some tweaking. It does not state how far until your next turn/exit until you are about a mile away; I think VW should take some tips from Garmin. The screen also needs to be bigger and higher up on the dash. The Premium Package should offer memory seating because it is very annoying to have to keep changing the seat back after my fiancée drives the car. VW needs to ditch the cheap A/C knobs in the Jetta.

Very reliable, great mileage
By rrocks

After 10 months and 9500 miles, all is excellent...upper 40s on the hwy, 29-30 in horrible suburban driving conditions where I live (a lot of stop and start). Absolutely no problems. I think it's a great, fun car for the money. A bit slow on the start, but it picks up speed quickly. I'm sold on diesel. The only thing I don't like is the odometer display.
My wife claims she doesn't care about cars but I can tell she loves it.

Diesel engine and mileage. Handling ok.

Can't see the running mileage on the car other than when it stops or starts. The display shows all kinds of info (e.g. mpg) but not the mileage. Also, changing the time on the clock is difficult.

volkswagen tdi 10,000 miles and going strong
By rp4042

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have put 10,000 + miles on my 2013 Volkswagen Jetta
Diesel in about 9 months and the car is going strong, I have not had one single problem with this car, zero, zilch, nada .

I have owned new Toyotas that were not this reliable in the first 10,000 miles.

One reviewer stated that it was made in Mexico and was junk. Well the engine and transmission are made and assembled in Germany. The balance of the parts are made in Germany , Canada, and Mexico. It is assembled in Mexico.
My point is that this is a car engineered in Germany and built to German standards. I have had no problems with paint, trim , or scuff marks not coming off plastic parts as some have stated.

I love that I have saved over $ 600.00 on fuel in nine months over what it would have cost for my previous gas engine model car. I love the looks of this car , the power ( 238 ft. lbs. of torque ) , the quiet diesel engine, the quiet ride, the good handling on winding roads, one touch window up and down.

Take the clock out of the information center after all the radio has one, and replace it with a permanent odometer reading, or place the odometer in the speedometer. Rearview mirror will not tilt down to adjust for drivers of different height, For a car that had a manufacturer suggested price of $25,500 + I feel the radio should include navigation and touch screen. I realize that this is a German car and therefore more expensive, but most Korean and Japanese cars have way more items as standard equipment.

The good and the bad
By maninva

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Like other reviewers I had a bit of buyers remorse upon driving this car home from the dealer.
No auto headlamps, compass, auto dimming review mirror or back up cam left me a little disappointed.
The car grew on me once I got used to it.
It is fun to drive and I enjoy getting 50 mpg on the highway.
At 8k the paint on the front bumper started to chip off very easily.
After three different attempts to have VW repaint the bumper they refused to do so.
This was my first VW and will be my last.
I will not buy cars from a manufacturer that doesn't stand behind it's product.

A follow up to my previous review. Luckily I traded the Jetta in Dec of 2014. It was the worst car I have ever purchased. Had I kept it I would have lost thousand of dollars in value after the Emission Cheating Scandal came to light. I will never own another VW.