Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Don't Buy this car
By David

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

lets start here, from 2010 to 2011 VW wanted a new market, they wanted to appeal to a lower price market, so they made the interior cheap, I have had an ongoing issue with the interior lights just turning on and won't go off. Once they do finally go off I can push anywhere on the headliner to turn them on, to rectify it I had to pull the upper console away from the headliner. I have put no less than 20 headlamps in the car over the duration owning it. Repair costs are extensive, Check engine light on $1500 fix for exhaust part, 2 weeks later check engine light back on $1000 intake valve, AC hasn't worked in 3 years, recharged every summer, mechanic says it needs a new compressor $500. Timing belt replacement, $1500 because VW uses a nylon impellor for the water pump for OE so while the engine is torn down you need to replace the water pump. Recall for emissions VW dragged their feet for both the fix and the buyback so owners would add more mileage and then volkswagen hits them with mileage penalties. Wife got stranded in West Virginia 600 miles away because a sensor went in the motor causing the turbo to shut down, $300 and 4 hours stuck in West Virginia while it was repaired. This car has been one nightmare after another. Stay away from volkswagen!

Towed to Dealership Twice
By nickanna2

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the Jetta new in December of 2011. Had several issues within the first few weeks including seals on the driver and passenger doors. The whole dashboard had to be replaced due to a loud buzzing noise. After the first winter the windscreen washer hose line froze. At first the dealership said it wouldn't be covered under warranty :). Car stalled in the middle of the road at 40,000 fuel pump failure. Starter motor failed and both rear calipers at 70,000 in addition the whole back window had to be replaced due to defroster not working. The car comes off warranty next month and I am dreading it. Would never purchase a vw again. The TDI is powerful and fun but not worth the $$$

Styling and simple dash. Great interior space in the back. Cheap to fill and good milage

Poor overall build quality better components.

Nice car, but clutch failure at 22,280 miles?!?
By jeremycarguy

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the 2011 VW Jetta TDI with the manual 6-speed transmission in January 2011. The car had significant problems at first with stalling. After a couple of tries, the dealership replaced the air mass meter which improved it significantly. At 22,280 miles, the clutch disk disintegrated. VW claims that his was normal wear and tear. However, on a previous car (87 Volvo 740T) I got 210,000 miles on the clutch. I know how to drive a clutch. I am a former licensed master auto mechanic, this is clearly a materials failure, and VW will not stand behind their product. They have lost a good customer and somebody who had been a good advocate for VW in the past.

Update July 2016: In June 2016, the glow-plug warning light started flashing, the engine lost power, and then started making a loud clattering noise. Had it towed in to the dealer, and the high-pressure fuel pump had disintegrated internally, sending small shards of metal throughout the fuel system. They had to replace the entire fuel system (injectors, fuel distributor, hoses, filter, pumps) and flush out the fuel tank. Apparently this has been a fairly common problem as VW has a warranty extension for this to 10 years 120,000 miles. So VW paid for this repair, which at full retail would have been $7,000 to $8,000. My takeaway from this is that VW got the price point down on this car by engineering the car with no slack - a clutch which was too weak for the engine, a fuel pump which was cheaper than what was required for longevity, etc. What else would go wrong with this car if I kept it? Although the car drives well, I am now happy that VW will be buying it back due to the emission controls scandal.

January 2017: Between June and Septempber 2016, the ring gear became misaligned on the flywheel (aftermarket, see above), and the dealer wanted $3,000 to install the factory clutch and dual-mass flywheel. I got a replacement ring gear from the 3rd party manufacturer, and paid a good mechanic to install it. Then, the A/C stopped working. Finally, in January 2017, VW bought the car back from me, so I'm done with it. Thank goodness!

Powerful diesel car
By timm333

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Well this was my first time buying a new car, so I thought I would get what I wanted.
I knew I wanted a diesel and the Jetta had all the other features that I wanted too.
I bought the car on July 5th, 2011 and in the three months I have owned it I have already put 10,265 miles on it.
I figured I might as well break it in while it is still on a warrenty.
The engine puts out a lot of torque for its size.
The 6m tranny is nice and you can get going fast pretty quick.
I have only had the car up to 90mph and it handles pretty good at that speed (all though I don't drive it like that for long).
I get more than the advertised 30pmg in town and have hit 50mpg on the highway.

The fuel economy.

A guage to read engine tempurature and an ACC switch on the iginition.

Luv my TDI
By partymarty

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased my TDI about three months ago, and I am extremely satisfied with all major aspects of the car; particularly the economy and performance of the Clean Diesel. However, I do have a few nitpicky quibbles:
1. There is no padding in the overhead storage compartment, so my glasses rattle when placed there.
2. I am getting used to the digital fuel gauge but I am still searching for some sort of engine temp gauge (I hate idiot lights!).
3. I am also still searching for the ACC setting on the ignition switch.
4. I wish I had adjustable lumbar supports on the front seats.
5. Why do I have to order a nav system to get optional fog lights?
6. There is a big blind spot in the left rear!

My favorite features are the snappy exterior styling, the crisp 6-speed manual tranny, the unbelievable performance and economy of the turbo diesel which seems to offer all the advantages of a diesel without most of the drawbacks (noise, smoke, odor, etc)., the capacious rear seating area, the sound and performance of the touch-screen radio, the taut handling (I like a firm ride), the lavish trim level of the TDI (I did not need to purchase any options), and the 3-yr/36K mile paid maintenance plan.

I would like to ditch the sunroof (which I rarely use) in exchange for the some or all of the items I listed previously. I feel this should be a cost-plus optional item for those who want one. The cost savings would more than make up for the paltry items which are missing.