Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Nice car, but clutch failure at 22,280 miles?!?
By jeremycarguy

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the 2011 VW Jetta TDI with the manual 6-speed transmission in January 2011. The car had significant problems at first with stalling. After a couple of tries, the dealership replaced the air mass meter which improved it significantly. At 22,280 miles, the clutch disk disintegrated. VW claims that his was normal wear and tear. However, on a previous car (87 Volvo 740T) I got 210,000 miles on the clutch. I know how to drive a clutch. I am a former licensed master auto mechanic, this is clearly a materials failure, and VW will not stand behind their product. They have lost a good customer and somebody who had been a good advocate for VW in the past.

Update July 2016: In June 2016, the glow-plug warning light started flashing, the engine lost power, and then started making a loud clattering noise. Had it towed in to the dealer, and the high-pressure fuel pump had disintegrated internally, sending small shards of metal throughout the fuel system. They had to replace the entire fuel system (injectors, fuel distributor, hoses, filter, pumps) and flush out the fuel tank. Apparently this has been a fairly common problem as VW has a warranty extension for this to 10 years 120,000 miles. So VW paid for this repair, which at full retail would have been $7,000 to $8,000. My takeaway from this is that VW got the price point down on this car by engineering the car with no slack - a clutch which was too weak for the engine, a fuel pump which was cheaper than what was required for longevity, etc. What else would go wrong with this car if I kept it? Although the car drives well, I am now happy that VW will be buying it back due to the emission controls scandal.

Love the Car, Hate the Issues
By ashort

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We purchased our Jetta off the lot, but I think we choose the wrong one.
We had issues right out of the gate.
Noticed that left side speakers did not work.
Took it back and discovered that when the dash was installed at the factory they smashed the wiring harness.
Second issue: clicking sound from driver's door trim.
That took over 4 months to get it diagnosed and corrected and to get window controller fixed because tech damaged it while fixing the trim.
Third issue: Had to have the manual transmission replaced at around 48k.
Interior seals failed.
I think this Jetta was made right before siesta time (made is Mexico). Tires side walls blew out around 35k

It is a fun car to drive

Better quality control and design at factory. Needs a turbo. Very sluggish acceleration.

I will never buy VW again
By brookem0517

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My Jetta's engine completely shuts off while driving. It has happened 4 times in the last year. I take it to the Volkswagen dealership and they tell me there is nothing they can do about it. It really upsets me I have not even had my car for 3 years and it is not reliable. I am scared to drive because I don't know when my car is going to randomly shut off. This is a huge safety issue. This issue could cause me to be in an accident. I was always a huge Volkswagen supporter and thought I would always drive a Volkswagen, but now I am questioning that. I am so disappointed about the quality and reliability of my car and the fact that no one seems to care.

Great car
By shop75

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had Hyundai, Acuras, Volvos and Lexus before this and I am very happy with this car. I will be buying VW from now on. It is a fun car to drive and big. We have 2 little children and no problem on back seat. The trunk is huge took all our stuff to beach trip with no problem. The pickup is great on the 2.5 5 Cylinder engine. I wish I had the sunroof and automatic headlights but that is all that is missing from this car. I have traded 3 cars in the last 3 years but this one is a keeper! Great gas mileage too

heated seats, big trunk and leather seats

Make them with automatic headlights, mileage trip to gas to empty and more with sunroofs

Updated Review from previous one!
By alexx52093

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wrote a previous review on this car as well and would like to update it! My '11 Jetta SE w/ Conv/Sun now has 50k mi on it! It has gotten me through this brutal winter that hit the east coast w/out a single problem! Always starts, never fails, ever! I use it to commute 120 mi round trip to school every week, and I deliver pizzas with it on the weekends! I take good care of it, but it does get some hard use! Build quality isn't fantastic, and I've had a few issues with some cheap panels breaking and I had a minor electrical issue w/ taillight. All fixed under warranty and not much of a hassle at all. All cars have quirks and issues of their own. But you can't beat this car for the price!